Leather care

wessie

• Premium Member
I have some lovely Daytona boots that need a bit of TLC, and some leather gloves that are a year old and have got a bit damp lately.

Cue a freebee 15ml sachet of this stuff http://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/103149-nikwax-wax-paste-tube.html

image1_4A_en-gb.jpg

Well, it goes a long way. That sachet did 2 pairs of short Daytona boots & 2 pairs of gloves.

The boots' leather looks better and has that nice matt finish you get with good waterproofing stuff. Water beads nicely. 

Same with the gloves - they bead water nicely.

100ml is a fiver which is not too bad as it will last years. 

If you can't get the Nikwax stuff then this is also very good

http://www.liquidleather.com/en/25-car-motorbike-leather-conditioners

Smells of new leather which might float your boat
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Do you have dubbin in the UK Wessie ?

When I played school boy rugby we used Dubbin on the leather balls. The Nickwax is so much easier to apply, it doesn't leave a wax residue like dubbin and it works really well.

• Premium Member
Do you have dubbin in the UK Wessie ?
Yes. Readily available in this area as it used by horsey types.  
I prefer the more recently developed stuff, although the Liquid Leather stuff I recommend above has been around for years. That is favoured by car restorers as it gives leather upholstery that new leather smell. Like the nikwax, it's less messy than dubbin.

LL is a once a year treatment. We'll see if the Nikwax lasts a year and then make a choice between the two. Both are easy to get either on Amazon or in shops such as Black's, Millets, horse tack shops etc. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Will storage in hot conditions damage leather? I keep all of my gear, including an Aerostich Transit Jacket in the garage where temperatures can exceed 100 F.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
Will storage in hot conditions damage leather? I keep all of my gear, including an Aerostich Transit Jacket in the garage where temperatures can exceed 100 F.

cows maintain a body temperature of around 98F and the leather does okay - they do lubricate it with oil from sebaceous glands, take dust baths and have it groomed by crows.

as long as you give it some TLC once a year to replenish lost oil & moisture it should be okay - only caveat would be in areas of high humidity which will encourage microbes - I remember going through a storm of aphids one day and then hanging my jacket up after the ride. I washed my helmet but left the jacket. I had become quite furry after a couple of days as the moulds & yeast worked their way through the bugs. That Sportex Apollo jacket was bought for a tour to France in 1995. I usually wear textiles nowadays but I still get that jacket out a few times a year. It has some interesting patina...

Archived