Shifting Woes

likebutta

I've read a few other threads in regards to shifting issues and I just can't seem to get it right.  I'm primarily having issues switching from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.  It seems to happen frequently, whether under light throttle or heavy throttle.  I release the throttle, pull the clutch all the way in, press the shift lever up, slowly let the shift lever out as I reapply the throttle.  Bike tends kick forward and remains in second gear.  Sometimes it happens a few times in a row which is really annoying.  Sometimes I am patient enough to remove my foot out and off the peg to make sure I am not applying any pressure on the lever then put my foot in -- same problem.

I've tried:

- Adjusting clutch lever freeplay (have pazzo lever installed)
- Adjusted shift lever to be higher up
- Tried different shifting techniques

I'm sort of at a loss as to what do.  Still running dino oil, no synthetic.

Also, another problem I have is shifting into neutral.  I find it extremely difficult to find neutral shifting "half" up from first.  The feeling is not there like my previous bike and even if I see the N light go on by the time I let the pressure off, it switches to second.  Takes me a long time to find it.  Actually,  I actually frequently find myself 'downshifting' into neutral -- like if I am coming up to a light that just turned red and I downshift to 1st, I actually end up in neutral instead, which can be a bit embarrassing if I don't notice and try to move off on green light.  I never was able to downshift to neutral on my Kawasaki, only up.  Is this a thing with Yamahas or should it not even be happening?

• Premium Member
If you have been having this problem since you purchased the bike, I would take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. What you describe doesn't sound right, and is very different than my experience.

Sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging, which is almost certainly just an adjustment issue. If you're not the DIY type, I would take it to the dealer and have a technician ride it and then fix it. I can only speak from the experience of having ridden one FJ, but shifting mine is very easy and finding neutral is a piece of cake every time.

@root

It has about 250KMs on it.

@David @crempel

Yea I might take that option if I can't sort it out myself today. I'm not necessarily 'not' a DIY type; I change oil, installed all the accessories (eg. crash bars, MT Adventure footpegs, etc etc) myself. I also did some more technical stuff/tedious stuff like removed the ECU and installed the PowerCommander unit on my older bike, along with some small electrical work (BKMoto headlights). That being said, I normally shy away from anything related to the engine and it's internals, as well as brakes.

Anyway, I think if I can't sort it out today myself, I will try to book it for the dealership to look into. I wonder if it might be the pazzo lever giving me grief. Maybe the clutch cable is short by default and the pazzo lever pulls it ever so slightly from completely disengaging? But then the freeplay adjustment would make you think otherwise.

Thanks all for posting.

I've never heard of letting the shift lever down slowly. I just close the throttle quickly, pull the clutch, kick the lever up and release the clutch pretty quickly.. I definitely don't let the shift lever down slowly. Did you mean clutch? Or am I still a noob after 11 years of riding lol?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@skinkypants

No, but I think I will try that to see how the bike reacts.

@duhs10

Yes, I did mean clutch lever and I guess slowly was not the correct wording on my part. I meant gradually in relation to relation to reapplying throttle (the actual speed of the release ends up being quick) (re: clutch lever).

• Premium Member
check your chain - ignore the manual, that is too tight. Set chain slack to 1 inch or 25mm
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Mary had the same problem when she got the FJ-09. Adjust the gear shift lever (may take a few times), minimum of 25mm/one inch free play in the chain-mandatory-, and access neutral as your rolling to a stop, not after you've stopped. After 40+ years and numerous motorcycles never met one that liked trying to find neutral after completely stopped. And yes, the tranny will loosen up and be easier to shift with some miles.

@wessie @bruceintucson

I need a bit of clarification if you both might have some insight into the process. According to the visualization in the manual, the 5-15mm (in this case, I'm looking to do 25mm/1 inch) should encompass the entire the up and down range. Please let me know if this is correct. I am including my image to illustrate what I mean.

As of current, 25mm is already accounted for from neutral to the top of box 1 / where my digital caliper is shown. So would that mean I currently have 50mm chain slack? And could that be attributing to my problems?

f9KoqHX.jpg

• Premium Member
I'm looking to be able to push the chain up from the resting position by 25mm
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

@wessie

EDIT:  I edited and re-uploaded the picture in the previous post to help clarify.

I see, so would that mean my chain is in spec for 25mm?

From it's resting point, at the bottom of the caliper, I push it up and before any significant resistance is met, is where the top of the caliper is shown. That measures 25mm as of right now (as shown by the green lines)

Archived