Shifting Woes

likebutta

• Premium Member
@wessie  
EDIT:  I edited and re-uploaded the picture in the previous post to help clarify.

I see, so would that mean my chain is in spec for 25mm?

From it's resting point, at the bottom of the caliper, I push it up and before any significant resistance is met, is where the top of the caliper is shown. That measures 25mm as of right now (as shown by the green lines)

yes - I use the toe of my boot and just give the chain a shove - I'm not worried by +/- 5mm...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Has there been any mention of the Shift shaft recall for the FJ-09. Not shure why Yamaha is doing a recall, but the issue could be hard shifting??? To find out if it was perofrrmed on your bike call a Yamaha dealer with the VIN and see if been performed?
Dennis, near Chicagoi

I've read a few other threads in regards to shifting issues and I just can't seem to get it right.  I'm primarily having issues switching from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.  It seems to happen frequently, whether under light throttle or heavy throttle.  I release the throttle, pull the clutch all the way in, press the shift lever up, slowly let the shift lever out as I reapply the throttle.  Bike tends kick forward and remains in second gear. 

Adjust the shift lever down. You're not completing the shift motion.
I was having that problem where it would make the shift but not re-index, so on
the next upshift the lever would not move.
Lowering the shifter to ensure that I got a complete shit movement has nearly eliminated the problem.

Also, another problem I have is shifting into neutral.  I never was able to downshift to neutral on my Kawasaki, only up.  Is this a thing with Yamahas or should it not even be happening?

Many Kawasakis have a feature where a shift from 1st will only get to neutral if the bike is stopped.
It makes shifting to neutral easier. The FJ doesn't have that. If you miss neutral from 1st it's
ok to try it from second.

A bit of an update. It seems to be getting easier as the KMs pile on. Doing my first oil change tomorrow and hopefully it gets smoother from here. It still happens from time to time but nowhere near as often.

@ericm

I will try that if things continue but to be honest, adjusting it up has shown better results for me. If I had to move it down from where it originally was set, I don't know if I could even shift at all. My toe would have to be pointed at the ground like a ballerina; likely wouldn't fit much from that point because my boot is thick.

Yea, the Kawasaki was easy to slip into neutral. I am finding it easier to shift down into neutral from 2nd than from 1st into neutral, on the FJ.

Archived