Aggressive handlebars

mike0109

Howdy, I want to get some aftermarket handlebars that are not as wide as the stock ones and are more conducive for spirited riding, however after looking at the other handlebar threads I noticed many are changing them out for comfort, which is not what I want. 

I understand the stock handlebars are "protaper" where at the clamps they are 1 1/8 and then taper to 7/8 at the controls.

My question is, what kind of handlebars should I look for if I want a more aggressive, leaned over riding posture? My buddy recommended drag bars which sounds like a good option but I'm not sure if I need lower bars, have less sweep, or bars that sweep back more. 

The handlebars I want to get are these but I'm not sure if they would be less wide than stock.

https://www.motovationusa.com/rizoma-drag-bar-handlebars.html

The stock handlebars are adjustable up to 1" forward from original setting in the stock clamps, but you probably have already done this right?

I added these drag bars to a Suzuki SV650 (naked), seeking to make a more sporty riding position: As you say, the "sporty/aggressive" reduced width and increased sweep associated with clip-ons or clubman bars wasn't there, and handling did not improve, although comfort drastically reduced. I ended up re-assessing the goal of trying to make an upright standard less of an upright standard, and returned to the stock bars.

Renthal Street Nakeds or Street Fighters offer more sweep, but there's other threads for info on those.

The stock handlebars are adjustable up to 1" forward from original setting in the stock clamps, but you probably have already done this right? 
I added these drag bars to a Suzuki SV650 (naked), seeking to make a more sporty riding position: As you say, the "sporty/aggressive" reduced width and increased sweep associated with clip-ons or clubman bars wasn't there, and handling did not improve, although comfort drastically reduced. I ended up re-assessing the goal of trying to make an upright standard less of an upright standard, and returned to the stock bars.

Renthal Street Nakeds or Street Fighters offer more sweep, but there's other threads for info on those.

Yep, already did that and I must say, it's helped a lot. What still bothers me though is that when I tuck in, my elbows flare way out resulting in me feeling like I'm trying to superman my way through corners. I'm not sure if I want more sweep however because I'm happy with how extended my arms are. 
I'm trying to go from this riding position
https://touron2wheels.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/2015-yamaha-mt09-tracer-eu-lava-red-action-002.jpg

To more like this
http://motorcycle.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/060816-2017-yamaha-fz-10-17SPBK_FZ10_GRY_A1_0052_1.jpg

• Premium Member

Yep, already did that and I must say, it's helped a lot. What still bothers me though is that when I tuck in, my elbows flare way out resulting in me feeling like I'm trying to superman my way through corners. I'm not sure if I want more sweep however because I'm happy with how extended my arms are. 
I'm trying to go from this riding position
https://touron2wheels.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/2015-yamaha-mt09-tracer-eu-lava-red-action-002.jpg

To more like this
http://motorcycle.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/060816-2017-yamaha-fz-10-17SPBK_FZ10_GRY_A1_0052_1.jpg

see Johan's post about 15 months with a Tracer - ride the bike for what it is rather than trying to change the spec to be something different. If that does not work for you then you bought the wrong bike.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I totally agree.

If you want the ergonomics of the R1 based bike, sell the FJ09 and buy the bike you want ergo wise.

I've played around with various bars on various bikes, but mostly for more upright comfort, and swept angle for wrist comfort.

The FZ1 guys did the lean forward heli-bars and others that lay you over the tank to ride.

Why bother with a Standard/Naked bike if you really want the ergonomics of a repli-racer/Café Racer?

Some positives of changing bikes is you get a better suspension, more power on top, sporty look and riding position.

The downside is if you ride more than about a half hour without serious curves, you will swiftly become uncomfortable. Your wrists will ache, your back will ache and your knees will ache if you are taller than 5'8" or have long legs.

That's just life. It's about compromises. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
And to the folks who say "you bought the wrong bike", I don't think that's fair. I've wished for a bit less chicken-wing and a bit more forward lean, but I don't want to give up the ample legroom, passenger and luggage options, giant (Madstad) windscreen, and plentiful torque, and I don't think I have to.

I think what we're talking about is inching away from "fauxventure" ergos a bit more towards "sport touring".

It's definitely a spectrum. I don't think OP wants an R1, or even a Street Triple--I think he wants something a bit more sport touring than a stock FJ.

(If I'd wanted a sport naked with my legs very bent, I would have kept my Street Triple.)

And to the folks who say "you bought the wrong bike", I don't think that's fair. I've wished for a bit less chicken-wing and a bit more forward lean, but I don't want to give up the ample legroom, passenger and luggage options, giant (Madstad) windscreen, and plentiful torque, and I don't think I have to. 
I think what we're talking about is inching away from "fauxventure" ergos a bit more towards "sport touring".

It's definitely a spectrum. I don't think OP wants an R1, or even a Street Triple--I think he wants something a bit more sport touring than a stock FJ.

(If I'd wanted a sport naked with my legs very bent, I would have kept my Street Triple.)

Agreed. A previous poster admonished the OP about buying the wrong bike and then went on to say he modified his own for more comfort. What other reason is there for a motorcycle forum than to talk about modifying the bike? To talk about how everybody kept their bike the same??? That would get old quick.
But I'm in the same camp as the OP. After retiring my Daytona to track use, I was looking for a fun bike in the twisties that didn't beat me up after a few hours in the saddle. I find that while the FJ does great in the canyons, I still want to get a bit more forward and lower in corners, which the stock bars (even in the forward configuration) makes difficult. Like @alejandro said, less "fauxventure" and more sport tour.
I don't think clip-ons are the answer; Otherwise I'd bring the Daytona back. I've been monitoring the forum for answers and have started to hear more about the FZ bars and I'm intrigued. Plus, 2" less width would really help with splitting lanes!

Handle bars are about the last thing to change for a more spirited ride. Better suspension, better tires, more forward chassis pitch (without causing stability problems), and changing your riding technique can have just as important effect on handling.

Years ago, some riding instructor welded a second handle bar to the frame to demonstrate you cannot initiate a turn without counter-steering on the bars. Once the bike is off center, body and bike weight lean into the turn create a balance point with the turning radius and speed. Longer bars are more sensitive to rider inputs, shorter bars need more weight shifting of rider. I am too tired to remember how to explain it better, but riding/racing schools teach these concepts.

Lee Parks TOTAL CONTROL, is one book that teaches this stuff, but it has been many years since I read it.

On the other hand, comfortable bars for one person can be torture for another.

Admittedly, body position, technique, etc goes a long way in changing the performance of a motorcycle but a lower, flatter bar would help to keep my body more over the front wheel, and is loads more affordable than a new suspension (which is on the long term list). You bring up a good point about possibly changing the height of the forks in the clamps to help with that weight shift, but I'd worry about that sliding me down into the tank when I'm trying to just relax on the bike. I also wonder how the steeper front end would change the handling.
Oh well, these are things to experiment with I guess!

Archived