Aggressive handlebars

mike0109

Guest dmizer
a lower, flatter bar ... is loads more affordable than a new suspension

That really depends. If your bar mod is small and subtle, you're probably right. However, if you get too agressive, this will mean lots of expense on shorter brake lines, throttle cables, and rewiring. Depending on what you do, you could also need to replace switch gear, grips, and so on.

Changing the chassis pitch by lowering the front of the bike by raising the forks in the triple clamps will make the bike turn in faster, also called counter-steer. Generally, you want to set chassis pitch so that the bike is stable in the average turn at average speeds, so you don't have to make a bunch of in-corner corrections. However, too low in front can cause instability at speeds.

Sit on your bike, put you hands where you want them. Have someone measure handle bar height, pull bike, length and find a bar to match. Go to web sites that make handle bars and look up the dimensions and specs. There is one company that is know for adjustable handle bars, but I cannot remember the name.

• 2 weeks later...
As a VFR owner, I'm more used to the bar position he refers to than the FJ. For Twisties and trackday, the VFR position is probably the BEST compromise between the FJ and an R1 ...

My trackday naked SV650 bars got swPped for clipons...very aggressive riding position. Not what you want.

I would call And get numbers for the woodcraft, look up numbers on Sport rider website or motorcyclists for FJ and VFR and compare. OR, call Rental and ask for advice!

Matt

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Check out my posts on handle bars. What I have now are no less wide but are 2"+ lower with more drop and sweep, think 1980s superbike bars with more rise to keep the touring quotient. Wider bars keep you lower than narrower bars but the drop and sweep are critical to wrist geometry

Watch some 1980s US superbike racing, they went plenty fast with wider, higher bars which helped them wrestle those mishandling monsters. Raising the forks 6 mm will speed up turn-in, which IMO strikes an ideal balance with stability. My other sport tourer though is a 1998 VTR1000F.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to reanimate this post from the dead, but I'm looking for the same thing. A buddy of mine wrecked my FZ1 this past weekend beyond repair, and I MISS that riding position! The FJ is my sport-touring machine, but I don't melt around it like I did that FZ1 (my precious, beloved baby, the most comfortable/confident riding position I've ever had on a bike.) I would love to have a bit shaved off the width of the bars, and I do plan to flip around the risers to see if that helps a bit. Sitting ON the bike isn't as confidence-inspiring as sitting IN the bike, I find.

Also going to swap out the POS Dunlop D222's in favor of PR4's, which may be enough unto itself to fix some of the lack of road-feel I'm experiencing. It's like having sex with the guy wearing 4 condoms - you know *something* is going on down there, but you're not quiiiiite sure what.

At any rate, I'm curious if the OP found a solution he liked.

• Supporting Member
Sorry to reanimate this post from the dead, but I'm looking for the same thing. A buddy of mine wrecked my FZ1 this past weekend beyond repair, and I MISS that riding position! The FJ is my sport-touring machine, but I don't melt around it like I did that FZ1 (my precious, beloved baby, the most comfortable/confident riding position I've ever had on a bike.) I would love to have a bit shaved off the width of the bars, and I do plan to flip around the risers to see if that helps a bit. Sitting ON the bike isn't as confidence-inspiring as sitting IN the bike, I find. 
Also going to swap out the POS Dunlop D222's in favor of PR4's, which may be enough unto itself to fix some of the lack of road-feel I'm experiencing. It's like having sex with the guy wearing 4 condoms - you know *something* is going on down there, but you're not quiiiiite sure what.

At any rate, I'm curious if the OP found a solution he liked.
I cant stand wide bars and found the stock bars on the ridiculous side, the handguards and handlebars were the first thing to go after I bought the bike.  I also had (and crashed) an FZ1 prior to this FJ and miss it alot.  On both bikes I used Rizoma bars and cut them almost a full 1.5" narrower on each side.

I got a flat at 4,000 miles on my stock Dunlops and happily swapped them to Pirelli Angel GT's.  I didn't find the D222's to be terrible but they weren't special in anyway either.  The Angel GT's are a great tire in every way and I always have a fresh set waiting in the garage, too bad they are getting so damn expensive.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
@betoney - Which Rizzoma model bar did you end up using? I still have the stock bars - in the forward position - and am wanting to go with something a bit more on the sporting side. I’m ok with the bar width, but the height & pullback is more than I really want.

• Supporting Member
I bought the MA005. Im not sure they are more "sporty" (I think thats subjective), but for me they are more comfortable.  

RZMA005_d.jpg

Granted, what feels 'right' is very subjective from person to person.  I'm looking for something with a little less rise than stock...   That 30mm spec on your diagram.  Courtesy of the recall, I have a couple of spare sets of risers, and have considered machining a bit off the bottom to play with different riser elevations; a different way to get the same net result.    
I have the seat in the high position, and the handlebars forward.   It's an ergonomic step in the right direction for me, but I want just a bit more reach to the bars.   

• Supporting Member
Courtesy of the recall, I have a couple of spare sets of risers, and have considered machining a bit off the bottom to play with different riser elevations; a different way to get the same net result.    
I have the seat in the high position, and the handlebars forward.   It's an ergonomic step in the right direction for me, but I want just a bit more reach to the bars.   

That would sure be something interesting to experiment with.  Before making any drastic changes in lowering the bar, raise the front wheel off the ground and turn your bars side to side full lock and see how much clearance you have between the bar and the tank.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived