32,000 miles

After the gas tank rant, I just wanted to say, the FJ has an ok tank for touring.  I have filled up at over 200 miles 17 times in 15K (recorded) of riding and average around 170 miles between fill ups.  I have also found riding in the wide open areas of OR, CA, NV, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID and WA that planning fillups around 200 miles is easy and once in a while you have to through in a fill up around 130 because you can't make it to the stop at 235, unless you ride at 60mph, and who wants to do that?  I am coming from a FJR and I averaged around 223 miles between fill ups on that bike, but I could also go 270-300 miles.  I have adjusted well and it doesn't bother me.  I have found the FJ to be more comfortable than the FJR and I am less tired at the end of the day.  Go figure.  I will report back later this year after I complete a 8,000 mile ride on the FJR.  Bike of choice is the FJ on most rides and I am looking at putting 17K on it this year.  Picture is to show I'm in the spirit of the 4th.

HjWMa1K.jpg?1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The range could be worse, that's for sure. 
Any thoughts on why you find the FJ to be more comfortable than the FJR?
Here are the reasons the FJ is more comfortable than the FJR for me: 
The FJ seating is more upright.  With an ever so slight forward lean that straightens my back comfortably.  I don't have to raise up so often as I do on the FJR.  On the FJ, I can rest both hands on the handlebars.  I can't do that on the FJR even with risers that bring the handlebars up and back.  On the FJR, I have to ride with one hand on the handlebars and slightly twist my shoulders to rest the hand on the handlebar.  After a days ride on the FJ, I feel less tired, less shoulder ache and litterally stand up straighter.

My knees are less bent on the FJ, therefore reducing the pressure from my pants/CE knee pads on my knees.  This can be very painfull after a full day of riding.  I find that I don't have to stand up to straighten my legs as much on the FJ because of this.

The wind off of my DIY windscreen is less bothersome on the FJ.  Just got lucky when making it.  Less noise and less buffeting than the OEM on the FJR, even though I made it from a Yamaha FJR Touring windscreen.  Biggest reason for this is that the FJ has more air moving up from the front wheel past the tripple tree, while the FJR blocks that air movement with all the fairings.  This airstream reduces the effect of the air off the top of the windscreen and reduces the buffeting.

Although I have a Russell Day Long seat on the FJR, I find the OEM seat on the FJ to be satisfactory even with fabric riding pants.  All seats are much better if you wear leather.

The weight difference is also a major factor.  If the roads are twisty, you have to work a little harder to move the FJR around them and if you are doing this all day, it can get more tiring.

Last is a new item and that is I installed the Cruisin Cruise Control on the FJ.  The FJR has a throttle lock which works really good, but you still have to adjust the throttle when it is on lock, which is harder to turn, so your hand gets tired whether it is on or off because the throttle on the FJR is much harder to twist.

Now if I weighted 220, and my arms were slightly longer, and my legs slightly shorter I might find everything except the windscreen better on the FJR.  For my body, weight and height the FJ is more comfortable.

The biggest draw back on the FJ for all day riding, day after day, is the chain.  Lubing, cleaning, adjusting and you have to carry additional tools to deal with that.  And this is why I will be riding the FJR back to VA for a FJR gather in Wytheville.

I have to agree with you on the shoulders. My ride home from The Dragon is 600 miles and my left shoulder is usually bothering me quite a bit when I get home after that many miles. This time it wasn't really bothering me at all. I wouldn't mind a little better seat, but that was as good as I've ever felt after that many miles.

• Premium Member
A lot of my friends ride larger touring bikes like the FJR, and I think they fail to appreciate how all that extra weight contributes to fatigue. This is especially true on the twisty roads we claim to love. There is a perception that a lighter bike can't be comfortable and won't feel stable.

I am surprised by your comments about the FJR riding position though. I guess I need to ride one.

A lot of my friends ride larger touring bikes like the FJR, and I think they fail to appreciate how all that extra weight contributes to fatigue. This is especially true on the twisty roads we claim to love. There is a perception that a lighter bike can't be comfortable and won't feel stable.  
I am surprised by your comments about the FJR riding position though. I guess I need to ride one.
Most people don't ever get to the point of long mile fatigue, day after day.  I used to do 500-700 mile days, which I have cut down to 400-450 mile days, but now I have more time to do long rides.  My FJR is an 05, in 06 the standard sitting position was changed and became much like the 05 with risers with a 3/4" pull back.  the Gen 3 FJR is refined even more and I have only rode one for 80 miles.  After that 80 miles I wanted back on my FJ.  The FJ has much more vibration than a newer FJR, but the sitting position fits me better.  The FJR may fit you better.  You won't know until you spend some time on one, and it is an awesome machine.

.... planning fillups around 200 miles is easy and once in a while you have to through in a fill up around 130 because you can't make it to the stop at 235, unless you ride at 60mph, and who wants to do that? .....
At about 300 miles, most of my day is at less than 60 mph on my route from Little Switzerland NC to Deal's Gap. I love very tight twisty roads.  ::) 
I haven't yet done that on my FJ-09, it's only got just over 10,000 miles on it. I'll do it in early August after the Right Coast Ride (this year it's on the Kentucky-Virginia border.)

There are so many twisty roads down there, orders of magnitude more than here in eastern Ontario, Canada! I just need to make sure I go through a few larger towns with gas stations...
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 2 weeks later...
I pretty much agree with redfjrniner regarding the differences between the FJR and the FJ. When I bought my FJ, I thought to keep the FJR (100K Mi) for "Longer trips". I put 15K mi on my FJ in the year since I bought it, and frankly, the FJR has sat in my garage gathering dust. I have done some mods to theFJ including a Madstad windscreen, CPU flash, KTM hand guards, better brake pads and tires, and changed out the suspension, but I do that to all my bikes. the main thing is the better ergonomics, and the much lighter weight and related nimbleness. I do wish I could tame the grip vibration a bit more and have some ideas about that.

I have not had any problems with my chain and sprockets. I have found that cleaning is more important than oiling (I know, everyone has unique history in this area) My drill is to oil the chain minimally, when it need it, and to clean it thoroughly when possible. Normally, at the end of a long trip. If I do add oil to the chain it will be at end of day when the chain is still warm. Over doing it just sends oil off the chain onto the rear wheel wheel and the bike-and me. Fling simply tells you that you have over done it. Modern O ring chains just need minimal oiling on the outside as the O Rings hold lube inside. At end of trip or at other intervals I use Kerosene to flush and clean the chain and sprockets (Extra points for getting into the primary sprocket to clean that area. I use a circular brush to scrub off all the gunk from chain and sprockets as well. After that I clean the whole bike, including the chain with Simple green and flush with lots of water making sure the sprockets and chain glider on top of the swing arm are clean of grit and sludge. I use my leaf blower to dry the bike. Once the bike is very dry, I ride the bike until the chain is warm and minimal oil it. I use what even oil I have around and have found that chain saw bar oil is particularly tenacious. Even when the chain looks very clean and shiny, if you rub your finger on it, it will come away with oil. A little oil is all that is needed, lots of oil or other lube is simply unnecessary.

With all of that said, there is no question at all that a drive shaft is simply better when it comes to the area of maintenance! But, they also add a lot of weight and expense.

My history with chain driven bikes since the advent of O Ring chains has been very good. I rarely need to replace a chain and sprocket set in less than 25,000 or more miles. I have 15 K on my first FJ chain and it and sprockets are still just fine. My 2 cents worth-oil less, clean more.

Archived