ECU reflash

• Premium Member
This is bizarre. Nels broke my bike in on the dyno. He didn't offer no free tune then :-)
damn, go back pronto. I need that tune.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Along with the speed limiter being deactivated, I would also like to have the TCS default to off (TCS light on) upon start-up. Then, if possible, have the TCS button be functional while in motion. I hope once the tune is available that the vendor will post to let us know what programming he can do.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Has anyone used the ftecu to tune their bike? Pretty pricy compared to similar setups with other bikes. But a better option than a 1 time change, IMO. Plus I assume it can be used for balancing the throttle bodies.
It will not be any use for balancing the throttle bodies. This is an entirely mechanical process, adjusting vacuum pressure in 2 cylinders to match the primary. You need a set of vacuum gauges and a screwdriver, after removing the tank and airbox to get access. There's a thread here somewhere showing the process.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 year later...
Since the fj-09 radiator fan blows forward, seems like there would be a point in lowering the temp the fan came on would actually make for a heat transfer inefficiency while moving. In other words, if the fan came on while moving I am not sure but what the bike would actually run hotter.

Just something I was thinking in terms of picking a lower temp range for the fan (while reflashing the ecu)

• Premium Member
Since the fj-09 radiator fan blows forward, seems like there would be a point in lowering the temp the fan came on would actually make for a heat transfer inefficiency while moving. In other words, if the fan came on while moving I am not sure but what the bike would actually run hotter. 
Just something I was thinking in terms of picking a lower temp range for the fan (while reflashing the ecu)

the fan blows air to the rear of the bike, i.e. sucks air through the radiator and the hot air vents out through the side panels 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

the fan blows air to the rear of the bike, i.e. sucks air through the radiator and the hot air vents out through the side panels My fan has only come on once that I know of (yesterday).  I put my hand in front of the  radiator and I felt hot air coming out through the front of the radiator.   

the fan blows air to the rear of the bike, i.e. sucks air through the radiator and the hot air vents out through the side panels 
My fan has only come on once that I know of (yesterday).  I put my hand in front of the  radiator and I felt hot air coming out through the front of the radiator.   

Are you sure it was air being forced forward through the radiator, or maybe heat radiating off the radiator? The fan will suck air through a basically circular area of the radiator, leaving the rest of it to give off heat as designed. 

• Premium Member
My fan has only come on once that I know of (yesterday).  I put my hand in front of the  radiator and I felt hot air coming out through the front of the radiator.   

Next time, place a hand near the gap in the frame on the left side, level with the top of the engine - you will feel a blast of hot air coming out when the fan is on.

As stated above, when the bike is still, hot air will radiate away from the radiator in all directions. When the bike is moving forwards, the airflow through the radiator is usually enough to cool the engine, with heated air exiting past the top of the engine, through the frame. The fan simply mirrors the same process by sucking air if the bike is still or moving slowly. 

Where do you live, Antarctica? :) 
I'm  up in cloudy Vancouver and mine comes on at 105C all the time.

Where do you live, Antarctica? :) 
I'm  up in cloudy Vancouver and mine comes on at 105C all the time.
Actually the fan only came on a couple days ago because I let it run after a ride (with a floor fan on).  I don't drive in much traffic and that is where the temp rises. Sunday was 96 here in places (Key Peninsula WA) and as long as I was moving temps were less than 195.   
I'll have it come on again sometime soon on a warm day (want to make sure it is working while still under warranty).   I'll check more carefully this time.  Last time I just held my hand briefly in front of the radiator  because I could hear the fan sound (for the first time).

Archived