Saying Hi

Just saying hi to all, as I've been lurking for a while reading. Created an account as the FJ-09 is on the top of my list right now for a future purchase.

I've ridden motorcycles since I was 6, and been on bikes since 2 months old (thanks Dad!).

I got my first "street" bike, which is still my only ride, in 2004. It is a 2003 Kawasaki KLR650. Slow, but it has been incredibly reliable for me, despite my less than stellar maintenance practices. I also get decent gas mileage from it, thought the cost of always topping up the oil does somewhat offset that - it has always burned a bit of oil, but in the last 4 years or so it seems to be increasing piston blow-by.

I plan to pull the trigger on a new(or lightly used) bike between now and April 2017 - That's when my car is paid off, but if I find a crazy deal I can't pass up, it might be before then.

I've started looking at some new bikes to consider, and tend to over-research things. I have a spreadsheet of bikes on my short list and write down my thoughts on each, and a few of the specs that matter to me. I'm only including bikes that I can/will be able to ride to test, as I refuse to drop possibly over 10,000 dollars on something I can only sit on in a showroom (no dealers around here will let me ride their bikes as a demo).

So far, in order of preference:
1) Yamaha FJ-09
2) Suzuki VStrom 1000
3) Kawasaki Versys 650LT (will be test riding a slightly modified one tomorrow)
4) Triumph Tiger 800 XR

I have also ridden the Yamaha Super Tenere, FJR, Suzuki VStrom 650, Honda NC700X.
I found the Super Tenere unimpressive and expensive, the FJR was too expensive and I rode it just for fun, and I didn't like the Vstrom 650 at all. The NC700X I found boring, with the only positive to my mind being the neat storage where the gastank normally is.

Anyways, nice forum you got here, and hopefully I'll be joining the FJ-09 crowd in the semi-near future.

Mark

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

Welcome, and congrats on being in the position to be able to pay off a vehicle and plan buying a new one! Sounds like you've ridden a few to get a feel of what fits. Maybe my experience can help inform you, I also considered the Tiger 800 XR before settling on the FJ-09 (actually the Duc Hyperstrada too, but not relevant to your shortlist). After a full day on the Tiger XR, the FJ-09 felt better handling, more powerful, and it looked better. The only reason I could see preferring a Tiger, is if it was the Tiger XC, IF I needed off-road capability. Ride safe!

Welcome, and congrats on being in the position to be able to pay off a vehicle and plan buying a new one! Sounds like you've ridden a few to get a feel of what fits. Maybe my experience can help inform you, I also considered the Tiger 800 XR before settling on the FJ-09 (actually the Duc Hyperstrada too, but not relevant to your shortlist). After a full day on the Tiger XR, the FJ-09 felt better handling, more powerful, and it looked better. The only reason I could see preferring a Tiger, is if it was the Tiger XC, IF I needed off-road capability. Ride safe!
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I really liked the Tiger 800 XR, I only rode the XR, as the XC cost more and I didn't need any offroad-ability these days (I have a KLR because I used to go offroad, but haven't in probably 5 years and dont' have plans to).

What I didn't like about the Tiger 800 was the pounding buffetting I experienced (but it was a really windy day so that may not have helped), and I didn't like the sound of the exhaust below 7000rpm.  Neither of those are dealer breakers for me, but price-wyse, I liked the FJ-09 as much, maybe more than the tiger, but it's several thousand dollars cheaper than the Tiger 800. 
That's huge for my pocket.

Consider the Versys 1K as well. Incredible deals right now down the road from me. 
New Versys 1K
I had considered it, and I would love to have it, but I can't find one that I'd be allowed to ride.  Dealer near me said they'd call me if they got a used one in that I could try out, but I'm not holding my breath. Other thing is that I haven't seen one near me for under $17,000 OTD.  I live near Ottawa, ON, Canada.  The Kawasaki dealer nearest me refuses to deal on them.  They have the Versys 650LT for $9000 OTD.
The Yamaha dealer I did the test ride of the FJ-09 at has said they could do $13,800 OTD "just for me"...  pfft, just for me... right.

Archived