clutch transmission issues

@com3 awesome pics 

as @bentaero mentioned footwear may be a factor, I recently purchased a thicker riding boot and I found myself thinking I was "missing" gears. TWO EXAMPLES: 1. Commonly, I would(out of old habit) preload shifter, upshift, clutch out, and realize I was in the same gear. I concluded my boot was actually slipping off the end of the shifter as I was physically upshifting. So the bike wasn't "clicking" properly into the next gear.  2. During multiple up shifts, I would(still out of old habit) preload shifter, upshift, clutch out, upshift again, clutch out, same gear. In this situation, my boot never fully disengaged the shifter after the first shift. So when I upshifted in succession, my boot did not allow the shifter to "default" to it's resting position. Easy remedy would be to raise the shift lever to accomodate the riding boot. 

TL:DR = mind your footwear and mechanical process

• Premium Member
negative.  the car's transmission completely disengages when in park. also, if it's a manual, it doesn't have a wet clutch like 99% of bikes do.
Wet/dry clutch is irrelevant. My list of "every motorcycle I've ever owned" includes two dry-clutch BMWs. Yes, they spun their rear wheels a bit when on the centerstand, idling with cold oil.

The rear tire spins because the transmission input shaft stirs the oil in the transmission which eventually starts spinning the output shaft. It's just fluid turbulence and a little friction. The clutch has zero to do with it.

I stand by my assertion that a manual transmission car might do the same thing if the drive wheels are off the ground and the car idles in neutral. I say "might" because there is a lot more mass in a car's driveline compared to a motorcycle, and the hydraulic turbulence in the transmission might not be enough to get things moving.

You are right that an auto tranny in Park will not transmit any movement to the drive wheels. But put it in neutral and you may see motion.

negative.  the car's transmission completely disengages when in park. also, if it's a manual, it doesn't have a wet clutch like 99% of bikes do.
Wet/dry clutch is irrelevant. My list of "every motorcycle I've ever owned" includes two dry-clutch BMWs. Yes, they spun their rear wheels a bit when on the centerstand, idling with cold oil. 
The rear tire spins because the transmission input shaft stirs the oil in the transmission which eventually starts spinning the output shaft. It's just fluid turbulence and a little friction. The clutch has zero to do with it.

I stand by my assertion that a manual transmission car might do the same thing if the drive wheels are off the ground and the car idles in neutral. I say "might" because there is a lot more mass in a car's driveline compared to a motorcycle, and the hydraulic turbulence in the transmission might not be enough to get things moving.

You are right that an auto tranny in Park will not transmit any movement to the drive wheels. But put it in neutral and you may see motion.

:thumbup

Archived