Penske 8983 + Traxxion AK20 Installed @ RMR Suspension

fjninersix

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all of you, I've spent way too much money on my FJ. Fortunately, I invested in the right farkles and I finally have the bike that I wanted!

I've been trying to think about how to articulate my issues and I think I've figured it out:

Me:
- 6'4"
- 215lb
- Intermediate rider (7 years, some track days)
- Last bike: 2005 GSX-R750

Stock FJ-09 (50% preload, extra rebound):

The bike itself lacks confidence (and as a result, so did I)
- The stock suspension is spongy
- It dives under any deceleration
- At any speeds greater than 60/100 the shock would compress and I'd have a light front end; serious understeer, and just akward handling
- It can't handle any bumps, especially in the corner; it wobbles from wind,bumps

Penske 8983 + Traxxion AK20 Cartridges (600lb/in spring in the back, 2 rings preload, tbd rebound, compression)
The tech asked me to ride it around the block just to see how it felt and the first thing I said when I got back was "Wow. This is a totally different motorcycle". And it is.
- The bike itself acts confident:
- It's way more agile, it feels incredibly assertive and no more diving
- The understeer from the stock setup was probably my least favourite attribute of the FJ. That is complete history now; it feels as balanced at any speed. My travel speed increased 40km/h and I feel more confident that I have ever on the bike, even in serious wind.
- Originally, I could change the characteristics of the motorcycle simply by shifting my own weight. It's incredibly stable now; I can sit however I want and it doesn't care. 

Anyways, I'm really happy with it :) I'm going to ride East to the Okanagan Valley this weekend and put on somewhere around 500km so everything should be broken in nicely. Another trip to the shop for adjustments and I'll figure out what my actual settings are going to be!

Hopefully I'll be adding some pics to the thread

Ride Safe

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Just had my first solid ride after installing the same setup as you, Ak20's and a Penske 8983. Your report is spot on and I want to echo your results. Dang, it's like getting a new bike. Everything is better, more nimble, responsive and predictable. The change is not subtle, even a cager like me can tell the difference immediately. I also had Nels at 2wheeldyno flash my ECU.  Also a game changer. Put it all together and l think the bike seems complete. I had no idea how much our world class engine was being held back by its OEM budget suspension.

• Premium Member
Ok so could one of you, obviously very pleased suspension upgrade purchasers please tell us considerers how much y'all paid for these items? Please. ??

Then there is the installation part. I could change the shock no problem. I can R & R the forks but really don't think I could stake the forks apart.

Then there is proper setup of the amazing new suspension. I think adjusting suspension is a black art!!! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
If you decide to make a go of it yourself, make certain you talk to Dan at traxxion dynamics. Very helpful, plus Yamaha went unique on the forks and you need to pick up a special magical tool from traxxion or have a buddy at a dealership.

I could change the shock no problem. I can R & R the forks but really don't think I could stake the forks apart.  
Then there is proper setup of the amazing new suspension. I think adjusting suspension is a black art!!! ?
I curse shock installation. I've done three and I'm not doing another one. It's probably easier though if you take the gas tank off and the battery out. 
There's quite a bit of literature on tuning suspension - Ohlins has a nice guide and you can watch Max's 20 part video series on Youtube. The key is to be methodical, and change one variable at a time.

I'm not familiar with the "special tool" being referenced but it's not hard to swap one set of guts for another. You do need a spring compressor though or a buddy.

I could change the shock no problem. I can R & R the forks but really don't think I could stake the forks apart.  
I curse shock installation. I've done three and I'm not doing another one. It's probably easier though if you take the gas tank off and the battery out. 
There's quite a bit of literature on tuning suspension - Ohlins has a nice guide and you can watch Max's 20 part video series on Youtube. The key is to be methodical, and change one variable at a time.

I'm not familiar with the "special tool" being referenced but it's not hard to swap one set of guts for another. You do need a spring compressor though or a buddy.
You poor guys must have a shet load of pollution gear around the shock, mine was a piece of piss, had the thing out and replaced and sag checked in less than half an hour. Didn't have to take the tank off or anything. 

• Premium Member
I've never been one to upgrade suspension, and had made up my mind not to touch it on the FJ. I just never imagined it was worth the time and money involved. Unfortunately, last Saturday, a friend of mine wanted to swap bikes on our ride and see how the FJ feels, so I rode his '15 R1 with aftermarket suspension for about 60 miles of twisties. The level of confidence that bike inspires is amazing. I'd imagine my line through a curve, and it was like I was glued to it. I don't imagine these upgrades can make the FJ handle like that R1, but even halfway between that and the stock FJ would be worth the investment. I almost wish I hadn't ridden that bike. Ignorance was bliss...

I almost wish I hadn't ridden that bike. Ignorance was bliss...
RaceTech founder: "The best you've ridden is the best you know!" - Paul Thede 
I don't know what the R1 had (NIX-30?) but you can get vast improvements without spending multiple thousands.

• Premium Member
I almost wish I hadn't ridden that bike. Ignorance was bliss...
RaceTech founder: "The best you've ridden is the best you know!" - Paul Thede 
I don't know what the R1 had (NIX-30?) but you can get vast improvements without spending multiple thousands.
Right you are. It had a Ohlins front and back. NIX in the front, and I think TTX in the rear. It was an incredible, eye-opening experience. He said he had about $2,600 in it between the shock and the forks (that's with him installing them himself.) I wouldn't want anything quite as stiff as his setup. I like to take 1,000 + mile trips, sometimes 2-up, so comfort is a factor. But I'm definitely on the market now for something that performs better than stock and doesn't bounce around when cornering hard.

• Premium Member
The big problem with really good suspension is, you get so spoiled you will never be satisfied with stock suspension again.
Most bikes I've ridden in the last 20 years have had decent stock suspension and the high end bikes come with very good suspension. The problem lately is that their trying to keep the price down on many of these bikes and their just being real stupid buy using cheap components manufactured in some part of the world where they work for peanuts.  

BLB

Archived