Cannot remove bolt to install Givi crash bars

Hey All,

Recently purchased the Givi crash bars and can't get them installed on the left hand side of bike.  There is a long bolt down by the kickstand that comes out on the other side of the bike and is tightened with a nut.  I can remove the nut alright but the bolt just turns (with tension...can't finger turn it).  

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the bolt?  I have tried tapping it out from the other side, etc but no luck.  I don't think it's stripped but who knows.  I also don't think it's threaded all the way through (which is why I don't think it's stripped).  

Any ideas would be helpful.  

Regards

I installed the Gig bars on my FJ.  Thread the nut back on and tap it GENTLY with a hammer to start it moving.  Supporting the engine with a jack is a good idea, too.  I used a long skinny punch to push the bolt in a few inches.  Then I was able to pull it out.  Be careful the bolt does not contact the shift linkage as you drive it out.  Take your time - frustration makes any job unfun.  Good luck!

Haven't long installed my Givi crash bars and found that bolt a little stubborn to start and for a short moment thought the bolt had stripped as well, but if it is tapped gently to get it started while turning the bolt then it can be screwed out when the threads come in contact with the frame. once its out a little you can get a grip of it to pull it the rest of the way. I didn't use a jack and putting the bolt back in was no problem so I wouldn't be too worried about that from my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
BTW, after I drove mine out, removed the corrosion on it and applied a corrosion inhibiting lube to it, I installed it so the nut is on the left and head on the right (opposite OEM installation) to facilitate easy removal of the left case guard in the future.

Archived