Dunlop Roadsmart III ?

• Premium Member
I would love to try this tire, but seems it is not available in the US currently.  They have been available elsewhere since Jan 2016.  I like the new tread pattern and the RS III appears to be an overall improvement over the RS II in several areas.  There are only a few video reviews on YouTube, but I cannot understand much of them.  Anyone across the pond running these?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
A reply from Dunlop Motorcycle Tires:

"We are currently evaluating the Roadsmart III for the U.S market, eta hopefully early 2017 (subject to change). If you wouldn’t mind please check back with us the first of next year for more details.

Hope this helps, sorry we could not be more definitive."

After experiencing the stock Roadsmarts on the FJ9, they would pretty much have to offer me a free set to get me to even think about trying them.

For me, a set of Michelin PR4s literally transformed the bike, and all planned suspension work went to the bottom of the list. Better feel, better grip, MUCH better in rain.

YMMV...

• Premium Member
Hmmm... well I have a certificate for a free set of Dunlap tires and would love to get a set of these Roadsmart III tires but I guess that is out!!
Darn!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

After experiencing the stock Roadsmarts on the FJ9, they would pretty much have to offer me a free set to get me to even think about trying them. 
For me, a set of Michelin PR4s literally transformed the bike, and all planned suspension work went to the bottom of the list. Better feel, better grip, MUCH better in rain.

YMMV...
Agree with this totally, its like having a new bike!

All new tires are like that... it's the honeymoon! Wait until the honeymoon is over! ?
I didn't like the Dunlops from the start... and they were less than 1/2 worn when replaced. 
I know the difference going from worn to new tires... it's much more than that.  ;)

Ive watched the vid for the most part, and i can understand most of it. Its down to that they made it lighter to turn in than the previous roadsmart II, made the front tire last more, especially for heavy bikes like the fjr1300. They seem to have a good feel in the rain, being able to keep a solid line. Overall the journalist seems very pleased with the tires. There will be a list of which model you need to use for your bike so i will look it up.

• Premium Member
Ok so help me understand this... Dunlap is the only tire made in the USA and we can't get the Roadsmart III here!!!!??? WTF!!! Is that correct??

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Ok so help me understand this... Dunlap is the only tire made in the USA and we can't get the Roadsmart III here!!!!??? WTF!!! Is that correct??
Dunlop is a brand owned by different companies in different countries. 
Sumitomo have the brand rights in Japan and they had the RIII some time ago as @dmizer fitted them and he lives in Japan.

In US & Europe, Dunlop is part of Goodyear. I suspect new motorcycle tyres are developed by Sumitomo in Japan (due to their close links with the main makers of bikes) and Goodyear has to buy in these designs to use in their markets. Hence the delay, as they would need to get certification in the other markets. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Yup, here's my original post: http://fj-09.org/thread/1941/new-dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-iii

I'm on my second front and third rear. Nothing but positive things to say about this tire. I don't have a really good comparison though. I was riding on Roadsmart II on my old 2009 CB1300, which was a big heavy pig of a bike with an old frame and suspension design. When I needed to replace the OEM D222s, the Roadsmart IIs were no longer available here, so I went with the IIIs instead.

I'm very pleased with them. But I was also pleased with the Roadsmart IIs on my old bike.

• Premium Member
Yup, here's my original post: http://fj-09.org/thread/1941/new-dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-iii 
I'm on my second front and third rear. Nothing but positive things to say about this tire. I don't have a really good comparison though. I was riding on Roadsmart II on my old 2009 CB1300, which was a big heavy pig of a bike with an old frame and suspension design. When I needed to replace the OEM D222s, the Roadsmart IIs were no longer available here, so I went with the IIIs instead.

I'm very pleased with them. But I was also pleased with the Roadsmart IIs on my old bike.
Apparently I missed that thread in my searches prior to posting.  Now I really hope they release them here in the U.S. in early 2017, but my D222's probably won't last until then as they're at 8k miles now and nearing wear bars.  Maybe run my favorite Q3's next, then try the RS III's.

The stock tires are D222s. They have the same tread pattern as the Roadsmart IIs, but they are most certainly not the same tire. Roadsmart IIs are a high end multi-compound tire. The D222s are a bottom shelf single compound touring tire. I dare say that many complaints about the bike's handling and ride quality are caused by the D222s.

Archived