Strange Problem: Key won't turn in Ignition Switch!

• Premium Member
What a bummer!!  I recently returned from a 400mi. day ride on my usually trusty '15 FJ-09. After parking
the bike for a day in my warm garage I went to start it but the key would NOT turn.  It goes in rather tightly
but will not turn to engage the ignition switch.  I have turned it rather aggressively but it will not turn far enough
to start the bike.  I do not want to turn it with more force as it would not be much fun to break the key in there!!

QUESTION...  If a fuse is blown will it disable the ignition switch and where might I locate it.
I have the shop manual but haven't been able to isolate the problem.  Thinking I might have to remove the
ignition switch assembly and take it to a lock-smith or Yamaha shop.  Should be fun dealing with all that
tupper ware just to get to the switch!!   Any help would be much appreciated.

• Premium Member
You may have already tried this, but...

Try pushing down slightly as you turn the key, and make sure the handle bar isn't jammed tight to the side.

I have had difficulty with mine once or twice....

I don't recall reading anything about a fuse stopping the barrel turning. It's more likely to simply be a bit of grit stopping one of the pins inthe lock from retracting fully when you put the key in.

I know that people frown on spraying oills into the lock, but when faced with your situation I would spray some WD40 in there and repeatedly try inserting the key, with the hope that it frees up.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I don't recall reading anything about a fuse stopping the barrel turning. It's more likely to simply be a bit of grit stopping one of the pins inthe lock from retracting fully when you put the key in. 
I know that people frown on spraying oills into the lock, but when faced with your situation I would spray some WD40 in there and repeatedly try inserting the key, with the hope that it frees up.

I wouldn't use WD-40. Just go buy a small tube of graphite lubricant.. which is really just graphite powder and put some on top of the lock and on the key and insert and turn repeatedly to get it in there.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived