New Yamaha Ténéré Could Be a Middleweight Triple?

jetfixer

• Premium Member
I stumbled upon this and thought some might find it interesting. Looks like he at least addressed the oil pan issue with a much needed skid plate for going off road. I'm sure it weighs it bit more than the current bike and I personally prefer the lighter weight.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/the-new-yamaha-tenere-could-be-a-middleweight-triple/
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
I have my dirtbikes for off road riding, and my F-Jay for street riding and touring. What circumstances would the Tenere be used? Not bashing at all, just curious. Trail roads? Nasty pot holed asphalt road? Looks like the Mack truck of motorcycles.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have my dirtbikes for off road riding, and my F-Jay for street riding and touring. What circumstances would the Tenere be used? Not bashing at all, just curious. Trail roads? Nasty pot holed asphalt road? Looks like the Mack truck of motorcycles.

Ya know, I don't get adventure bikes. I ride dirtbikes and every year, a couple guys from a local forum decide to show up to a group dirt ride and every single year one of them get's hurt. Last summer a guy tried to follow us on this high elevation fire road that is really sandy and washed out with lots of whoops. Result? He broke his clavicle and two ribs and also messed his bike up pretty good.

Year before it was a guy on a BMW 800 who did about $2,000 in damage to his bike and broke his wrist.

Heavy bikes and dirt and sand certainly do not mix. Too much work trying to keep a heavy bike upright in the dirt and mud, it's no fun at all.

This is what is fun for me in the dirt and mud.

http://i.imgur.com/MkQ1Uh5.jpg

I'll have to admit, I 100% agree w/ Cruizin... and go on further that to say like the Humvee's 97.556% of the people who bought them think "off roading" is the mud puddle in-front of the Bon Marche', I'd never take something like this off highway either.

I really just like the way it looks. Couch_Hide.gif

Agree that heavy adventure bikes are like trying to make pigs fly but also agree an Adventure-09 would sell like hotcakes. People go for that stuff.

I'm sure they would sell like crazy and probably do really well on most dirt roads, ride thru mud puddles and then look really cool at Starbucks. On ADVrider I do see guys take big Adventure bikes on trails but damn, it doesn't look like much fun. I often dump my CRF 450R 3-4 times per trail ride and have to pick it up and it weighs around 260 fully fueled.

I can't imagine picking up 500 lbs or more. A guy would have to bring pulleys and wire on the trails.

the best Dual sport bike I have ever owned was a DRZ-400S. Street legal, I would ride that out the Garage, to the trails behind Boise, up and over Mountains and just have a blast and then back on the road and back home again. I should have never gotten rid of that DRZ. Best do it all bike I ever owned. I miss it more than any bike I ever owned.

UVIsvDE.jpg

Try this trail on an "Adventure" bike.
t9qd057.jpg

ka9CMOu.jpg

But yeah, that triple Tenere is prettier.

the best Dual sport bike I have ever owned was a DRZ-400S. Street legal, I would ride that out the Garage, to the trails behind Boise, up and over Mountains and just have a blast and then back on the road and back home again. I should have never gotten rid of that DRZ. Best do it all bike I ever owned. I miss it more than any bike I ever owned.
That's what I currently have and use for the same ride profile.  Take it out, go blast around the local mountain trails then home for supper.  I recently outfitted it with a Seat Concepts seat, windshield, Clark 3.9 gallon tank and hard top case and plan to ride it to a rally for small dual sports this June in West Virginia.  People don't generally drive a DRZ x-country but I think it'll do fine. 
DRZ%2520Joe%2527s%2520Creek%2520Crossing.jpg?gl=US

• 2 months later...
I like my GS, for a few reasons. It's way lighter than a cruiser, the seating position is not bent over the front wheel of folded over like a half opened pocket knife. Tall bikes are a freaking hoot to go through corners at rational speeds, and it will carry everything that I will never need on a trip. With that, it's also a topheavy, overpowered, shiny expensive piece covered machine. There may be a few guys out there who can ride them like a dirt bike, and I'm not talking Euan and Charlie, but I'm not one. Furthermore, I don't ride in herds, riding this thing alone offroad is just asking for trouble. Hold on, I just realized, the FJ does all I hoped the GS would, with none of the pretenses. But when I sell my GS, I'm SOO going to miss all those beemer groupies.

Try this trail on an "Adventure" bike.

ka9CMOu.jpg

My new 'other bike' is about the same weight as a DR-Z400S, with a little more power:

http://i.imgur.com/J3PIwSF.jpg

I won't attempt any rocky climbs like that on it for a while!

Mine will see a LOT more street miles than dirt, so I'm thinking about Pirelli MT 90 tires. Ideally I would have the MT 90's on a second set of wheels, and keep the knobby wheels for dirty rides.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm ... "what circumstances"? Ask Ewan and Charlie or the guys at the little motorbike company in Munich. 8-)  Or maybe the 100,000 members over on ADV Rider.  
Mack truck indeed. But for some strange reason we've got millions of such bikes out there. Mostly they are just a new version of Sport tourer ... which is essentially what the FJ is ... I'm not questioning your mack truck claim, but it's rather naive to even wonder ... at this very late date, whether such bikes are viable or wonder how they'd be used.

Fact is, most aren't used in serious off road at all. And both BMW and Yamaha already know this FACT. They also know it's the most profitable segment in motorcycling (according to OEM's ... with Cruiser's a close 2nd)

I agree, they suck as dirt bikes ... and even dangerous (as someone mentioned) But not so much as LD travel bikes, crossing continents. Ever done that? What bike did you use and how much off road were you able to ride in the mix? Lots 'o GS's have done RTW. I was even dumb enough to ride my Vstrom into Copper Canyon. O_o Dumb ... yes ... but the hits just Keep on comin!

I stumbled upon this and thought some might find it interesting. Looks like he at least addressed the oil pan issue with a much needed skid plate for going off road. I'm sure it weighs it bit more than the current bike and I personally prefer the lighter weight. 

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/the-new-yamaha-tenere-could-be-a-middleweight-triple/
Good catch! I think more thoughtful predictors of the ADV Future are now speculating Yamaha will go with the Twin 700 not the 800 Triple.  
FZ-07 would be the base bike, morph'd  into a "new" Tenere' light.  (puke) Who knows which way they'll go ... or if the US will even get it? IMO, the torque of the twin would be better off road ... but IMO, with all the ADV Crap tacked on it will likely be WAY too heavy to ever do serious off road. But as everyone had stated ... BOY, do ADV style bikes sell! 

• Premium Member
Hmmm ... "what circumstances"? Ask Ewan and Charlie or the guys at the little motorbike company in Munich. 8-)  Or maybe the 100,000 members over on ADV Rider.  
Mack truck indeed. But for some strange reason we've got millions of such bikes out there. Mostly they are just a new version of Sport tourer ... which is essentially what the FJ is ... I'm not questioning your mack truck claim, but it's rather naive to even wonder ... at this very late date, whether such bikes are viable or wonder how they'd be used.

Fact is, most aren't used in serious off road at all. And both BMW and Yamaha already know this FACT. They also know it's the most profitable segment in motorcycling (according to OEM's ... with Cruiser's a close 2nd)

I agree, they suck as dirt bikes ... and even dangerous (as someone mentioned) But not so much as LD travel bikes, crossing continents. Ever done that? What bike did you use and how much off road were you able to ride in the mix? Lots 'o GS's have done RTW. I was even dumb enough to ride my Vstrom into Copper Canyon. O_o Dumb ... yes ... but the hits just Keep on comin!

Hello, McFly!!! That was for the proposed Something new Tenere in the first post, not for the existing Super Tenere. That bike I definately see the need for, even before reading your snarky comments, thank you. 2bitchslap_zpst7e3ufi6.gifblbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived