EeeTea's Tracer Blog

eeetea

Screen, Screen, Screeeen when I want yooou....

DATE: 19th December 2016
MILEAGE: 6295

There once was a thread on screens started by Griff1971 which I read with interest ...see here: Linky Linky

I like the angular look of the Tracer - of course I appreciate that looks become very subjective, but I like it anyway. The screen however...well...its okay, but there is a fair bit of turbulence around it, and as I wear a peaked helmet (Arai Tour X-4) it doesn't make it too great particularly if there is a strong side wind too.

Anyway, during this thread John Barlow mentioned the MRA screen, which after some magic electronic button pushing that just seems to pay for stuff for me, without me doing very much (there has to be a catch?) ...it was kindly passed on to me to try.

The MRA touring screen is a good looker. The Tracer is a good looker. The two don't match though. Angles Vs Curves. It just looked misplaced.

mt09-tracer-mra-screen-close.jpg

But I fitted it anyway, and what it did do is work brilliantly, a lot of turbulence and buffeting has gone (tried it up to 70 on the A12 too, just to see what it was like at cruzin speeds. Excellent.

Still looked out of place though (its subjective, just my opinion).

So today, I've modified it, taking a crescent out of the top, so when viewed face on the top of the screen is flat, this meant about 2" down on the centreline, and back to the top existing screen edge at the sides. (It's a similar shape to the top edge of the stock screen)

In my view it looks a lot better and I've tried it up to 96 LSP* (that, of course, is an exactly legal 60mph ;) ) on a back road, and it was still really good - most noticeable when I look right or left (asI mentioned I have a Arai X4 helmet with a peak) with still no buffeting.

No hand guards it looks like this:

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg
So the screen stays.

Here it is with the hand guards in place:

IMAG01861.jpg

IMAG01871.jpg

IMAG01841.jpg

:)

*LSP is 'Lympic Swimming Pools, and what the media seem to measure everything in, (except double-decker buses) so I have added LSPs to my post to give an idea of my speed on a public forum, and it's equivalent mph figure too. nudge nudge, wink, wink, say no more, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, nod's as good as a wink to blind bat. ;)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the subject of screen adjustment, some while back I modified the adjuster knobs - again this is another crap aspect of the Tracer...Yamaha could have spend an extra 10p to get an adjuster that doesn't work lose and rattle.

However, once the screen is set up I'm not one to decide to move it around, so I took the crappo knobs and swapped them for some black broad head allen set screws.

IMAG01791.jpg

IMAG01801.jpg

8-)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

LEVERAGE!

DATE: 21st December 2016
MILEAGE: 6325

Christmas comes early in the EeeTea house. What did Santa bring? New levers!

If you read earlier, I did a clutch modification to make the whole thing smoother and lighter - and with great success. However, the reach to work the stock lever is ludicrous - okay on a short run, but ride for 1000 miles over a weekend and I was getting arm pain!

So I wrote to Santa for some adjustable levers to make things more comfortable. I sent him a link to this website: V-Trec Vario III Levers so he would know what to bring me.

Good price too £104.33 delivered for brake and clutch. (Yamaha after market levers are something like £94 EACH!). Of course, you can buy cheaper, but for life safety I like having a fully tested and certified product - These are German made, solid billet aluminium with TUV Certificate of conformity.

So here they are fitted:

Brake:
IMAG01831.jpg

Clutch:
IMAG01821.jpg

Verdict - very nicely made, but only suitable for three finger action on both levers. For the brake I only tend to use two fingers anyway, and the clutch is light enough now for this to be comfortable and easy to use. The clutch especially is totally cured and very very nice to use now.

If I am honest, if I were doing this again I would buy these standard V-Trec levers instead (long version) only because I think they would suit the bike's looks better (and they are half the price!) linky dinky

So for those following my blog (thank you 8-) ) you will know that I've kinda written the whole thing over the Christmas break, to catch up since last March...but here I am, all caught up, and nothing more to report...

...for now!

Welcome eeetea!! Brilliant stuff (well at least the stuff you nicked from me?) and a good read! Looking forward to you posts in the future as well!
Yes that R1 cable has to be the single best thing I have done... I believe you have been mentioned in dispatches!

• Premium Member
Welcome eeetea!! Brilliant stuff (well at least the stuff you nicked from me?) and a good read! Looking forward to you posts in the future as well!
Yes that R1 cable has to be the single best thing I have done... I believe you have been mentioned in dispatches!
Indeed, and thank you! I like the routing you chose and will have to take another look at mine. Yours looks properly sorted.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

How much longer than the stock MT-09 cable is the R1 cable?
That's a good question. TBH I didn't measure either. I bought it after reading the fix on this here forum.  
Clint can tell you... :P

• Premium Member
How much longer than the stock MT-09 cable is the R1 cable?
That's a good question. TBH I didn't measure either. I bought it after reading the fix on this here forum.  
<points finger> Clint can tell you... :P

@kevinkbl actually posted pictures of the FJ vs R1 cable difference in length. Here they are: 26a8df3ba3cb37ebb5ac5cbbc62c41af.jpg668b4a76aeaffb804d05c628ce812a91.jpg8f9299eba98435c79fedb86497d97e21.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Thanks! I was hoping it would have been a tad longer...I am going to have to order custom extended throttle and clutch cables this winter to facilitate the addition of 2 inch Rox Risers we are adding to the FJ. We need to get the bars back and up as the Corbin seat we ordered puts you up just enough to make the lean angle a bad one for trips in excess of 10-12 hours. I want to reroute the clutch to rid it of the sharp bend to help extend cable life.

You may recall I commented on the "What did you do to your FJ today" thread.  That I thought the following was a great idea.  I did, and I do.  Having shamelessly copied it, thanks to Clint and Austinmation - here are my results - you will notice i have routed the Clutch Cable slightly differently: ... 
Yamaha Part No: 5VY263350100 £40.52 +VAT

The other thing I did was to change the actuator arm for another which is 5 mm (10%) longer, which means more leverage on the clutch and 10% less pull force to do it

Yamaha Part No: 5S7163400000 £16.85 +VAT

Thanks for reading 8-)
What year R1?  Can't find these numbers.  TIA

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
You may recall I commented on the "What did you do to your FJ today" thread.  That I thought the following was a great idea.  I did, and I do.  Having shamelessly copied it, thanks to Clint and Austinmation - here are my results - you will notice i have routed the Clutch Cable slightly differently: ... 
Yamaha Part No: 5VY263350100 £40.52 +VAT

The other thing I did was to change the actuator arm for another which is 5 mm (10%) longer, which means more leverage on the clutch and 10% less pull force to do it

Yamaha Part No: 5S7163400000 £16.85 +VAT

Thanks for reading 8-)
What year R1?  Can't find these numbers.  TIA
My order from Partszilla.com shows 5VY-26335-01-00 for the R1 cable.  The bolt clutch actuator is 5S7-16340-00-00.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Looks like the same number + a few strategically placed " - " 

No idea what year R1..  I just copied Clint... It's all his fault.  ;)

I lost one of those OEM knobs and had to find another.  I didn't like them because they were hard to turn with my old arthritic hands so I found these tee handles and use a lock nut on the ends to keep them from working out.  Have never had one come loose.  Good solution.

5007000.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived