I'm melting!!!

• Premium Member
Oh! What a world! What a world! ( In my Wicked Witch of the West voice from The Wizard of Oz.) I noticed the other day that my instrument panel at the top by the right directional indicator is slightly melted! :-( I have a curved tall Er-Max windshield and I can only image the sun hit it just right to magnify and melt the top of the panel. I guess I can place a cloth over the instrument panel when I park her. Oh joy....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

The problem is caused by sunlight catching the inside of the curved windscreen surface and forming a parabolic mirror.  Just cover the windscreen with something so sunlight can't catch it.  Or, simply park with the headlight into the sun. 

I've had similar issues with the canopy on airplanes when parked.   Putting a t-shirt over the end blocking the sun solved the problem. 

Cheers,
Pat

Guest reeseyboy
I've had this before on a Fireblade and suspected it could happen on the Tracer, so I made a "shade" out of Ali sheet.

E0959140-BBBA-49B6-A39E-E32EBDC01565_zpsdrcve4gk.jpg

2C524E7F-4852-4956-BEDC-E055F9A37C89_zps0qrigsmv.jpg

Haven't had any problems with my Ermax screen...

• Premium Member
My Givi barn door touring screen actually had a sticker on it when I opened the box warning this could occur and cautioned to park accordingly. I often forget so this is a good reminder but I will forget again when I come out of hibernation.

I have heard and seen this happening on many other bikes even with the OEM screens. Similar issues even with short ZG DB type screens.

My Givi barn door touring screen actually had a sticker on it when I opened the box warning this could occur and cautioned to park accordingly. I often forget so this is a good reminder but I will forget again when I come out of hibernation. 
I have heard and seen this happening on many other bikes even with the OEM screens. Similar issues even with short ZG DB type screens.
Like this one? 

20170118_203159.jpg
Keep Asheville weird!

I have never heard of that happening before. Maybe a little black paint on the windshield in just the right spot, but the trick will be figuring out where the right spot is.
Wifey informs me that it is G. 

Seriously though, if you're gonna stick a cloth over it, I suggest you stick it over the screen, rather than supply kindling for your magnifying glass to set fire too.

<ET is an member of the Institution of Fire Engineers...I'm smokin!>
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived