Additional led stop/tail and Strobe

catrike16

• Premium Member
Strobe tail lights:
https://www.customled.com/products/2015-2016-yamaha-fj-09-integrated-led-tail-light
https://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/2014-2016-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-sequential-led-tail-lights-clear.html

Both are bright. I like my Custom LED. @duhs10 likes his Motodynamic.

These also integrate turn signals.

I think @piotrek added LED DRL blinkers to the rear. Might find something with the Search function.

I also have Custom Led replacement tail light. You can buy a switch and program it for a variety of different modes. See their website for details. I left my stock turn signal lights on so I use only the tail/brake mode. There a plenty of other options including a license plate frame with lights and another company that offers small LED light bars that you can mount wherever you want.

Hyperlites have saved my butt a few times, on various motorcycles.

They are not cheap, but they work really, really well. (And the switch gear, and included taps etc are all top notch.)

I have the "flashing" front white, dual rows of 16 CLEAR WHITE LEDs mounted via the provided stick tape on the flat reflector surface, aimed at the oncoming traffic. They have a three position micro switch with a small red LED that lights up when they are on. The switch allows you to have them modulating, on full time or off.

At the rear, I have two rows of 16 LED's in red that are hard wired with no switch, but it has a modulator that flashes the lights when you apply the brakes, and then after a few seconds they just stay on full bright unless you release the brake and apply them again. I have run these along with stock brake/running lamps, and it works well. The folks behind you see the two sets of solid running lights, the LED's are brighter than any tail lamp, even the FZ01 LED aftermarket lamp with built in turn signals was not as bright as the Hyperlite LED's. And when they come on when you apply the brake, it's super bright. Painfully bright I've been told, but I have had too many vehicles come up on my tail like they were not going to stop at stop signs or intersections where you are stopped in traffic.

IN CA where I grew up, you could filter to the front. But here in Idaho, it's verboten, so I worry someone drinking their coffee or texting is going to sandwich me into the vehicle in front.

After adding the Hyperlite tail lamps, just a release of the brake, and re-apply and it starts to flash, and you can watch the hood of the vehicle coming up behind you dip as they hit the brakes. They are as bright as any flashing lamps on the new cop cars.

And a side benefit, is the modulating front lamps are very bright as well, work as "fog" lamps at night on constant on, and when you ride during the day, traffic often pulls over to let you pass, I think they don't know what to make of the flashing/modulating white lights, but I don't care, they see me, don't pull out from side streets nearly as much, or turn left into my path as much. And the brake lights are amazing.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

I installed the Motodynamic. I love it. It's VERY bright. It pulses 3 times when applying the brakes, and the signals are integrated.
Same for me. I was skeptical about removing the stalk turn signals, but after seeing the motodynamics unit in operation, I was convinced. Wow, is it freakin' bright. I mean, hurt your eyes bright.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
I installed the Motodynamic. I love it. It's VERY bright. It pulses 3 times when applying the brakes, and the signals are integrated.
Same for me. I was skeptical about removing the stalk turn signals, but after seeing the motodynamics unit in operation, I was convinced. Wow, is it freakin' bright. I mean, hurt your eyes bright.

Whoa! I agree that is amazing! So Gary are you going to do go for it? What did I see like $200?!?!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Whoa! I agree that is amazing! So Gary are you going to do go for it? What did I see like $200?!?!
I have the Motodynamics unit on my bike, installed it late-summer last year. 
It kind of happened by accident after I bought a Yosh fender elim kit. Once the Yosh kit arrived I realized that it, and the stock turn signals won't fit if you're running FJR bags. I tossed it in the corner and pouted for a couple months before deciding that A) it was a total waste if I wasn't going to install it, and B) the stock tail light is dangerously dim and I needed to do something about it.

The only rational and logical thing to do was invest more money! After reading about available options, I decided on the Motodynamics unit. IIRC, it was $100-$110 or somewhere thereabouts. It solved my turn signal interference problem, -and-, it's nuclear bright. It's so bright, Ray Charles could see it. Post-install inside-garage testing; you won't stare at the brakelight for long. Ever look into the sun?
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Be aware strobes are mostly illegal in the US unless associated with a particular operation (emergency, mail delivery, road construction, etc.).

Brake strobes were illegal as of 2013: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g1195/10-car-options-the-law-wont-let-you-have/

Headlight modulators are specifically excluded from this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

Even driving with hazard lights is illegal in some states (they're for parked cars only in some states).  On the subject of hazard lights, please don't be the idiot that thinks they can drive like an emergency vehicle because they have hazard lights on.  Many people don't actually know what the laws are for emergency vehicles or how to drive them appropriately.  Drive sanely and call 911 for an ambulance or police intercept, or first responders might be dealing with a traffic accident in addition to whatever emergency you had previously.

Brake light strobes are legal in Europe in at least some countries.  These laws are locale specific.

My personal interpretation: the likelihood of being busted for a brake light strobe is low since you could create this effect with your brake lever.  But strobed white or red lights while running should not be used unless you are an emergency responder.

Archived