Tested my "Helite" brand air deployment Adventure jacket.

• Supporting Member
Seems like it should inflate faster, and then stay inflated longer.
I was thinking the same thing.  I'm not sure what good it will do if you are already on the ground before it starts inflating.  From the video, it looks like it takes a long time to inflate.  Maybe the video is deceiving? I used to work on the flight deck of aircraft carriers when I was in the Navy and we had something similar called a Float Coat.  It worked similar except it took much less effort to inflate, and inflation took about half a second. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It is supposed to inflate in fractions of a second, long before you hit the ground. You are supposed to wear it very loosely to give it room to inflate. It does take a pretty good pull to inflate it too avoid accidentally inflating if you forget to disconnect it before getting off the bike. It is designed to leak out all the air in a few minutes, otherwise you couldn't move much.

The only perfect motorcycle safety device is .............. staying home on the couch.

• Premium Member
It does inflate instantly so the video does seem like it took longer. Believe me, it was quick. You can look at Helite you tube videos to get different views. The jacket is effective and I pray I never need it. The secret to the tether is to make it as taught as possible between the bikes frame and the rider without hindering rider control. Personally I like to stand while riding sometimes weather it be for road conditions or just plain stretching. So I set it accordingly.Never attach the tether to the handlebars.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Why not attach it to the handle bars? I attach mine to the handle bars, but in between the risers.
Helite recommends that as a safety precaution not to attach to the handle bars but to the frame. Attaching to the handle bars may interfere with control of the motorcycle. I attached mine to the frame under the seat behind the right side panel. There is room to loop the tether there.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived