Grooved Roads - Safer for cars/more dangerous for motorcycle

Last summer, ODOT (Ohio Department of Transportation) grooved all the curves and up the curvy hill of a good road on my ride home from work.  The road (10 mile/St Rt 749) is a back country curvy road, with a 45/55 mph speed limit.  The grooving, is similar to when they're about to repave a road and they've graded it.  Me trying to show my patience avoided the road all summer, since it seemed a bit dangerous and made my traction control go haywire.  Which honestly is my fault, it would be fine if I slowed down, but really I don't ride that fast.  Also it would defeat all the fun of taking that road on my way home.

After going all summer without it being fixed, I decided it wasn't a temporary thing and contacted ODOT.  To my surprise they actually called me back to talk about it, and he was nice about it.  He said that they decided to groove the road because of the number of accidents on the road.  They said people kept crossing the double yellow in the corners and hitting other cars, apparently fairly often.  He said studies show that grooving the roads helps reduce accidents (statistically).  I explained my side, that even though it may make it safer for cars, it has now becoming increasingly more dangerous for motorcycles.  

A google search shows that it's (grooving the road) not because the grooves are displacing water to make it more safe, or increasing traction.  It appears that degrading the surface of the road, appears make drivers feel unsafe so they slow down and pay more attention.  Lord knows we need car drivers to pay more attention while driving...so they see us.

So I struggle with losing one of my favorite ride home from work roads.  If it's unsafe for cars vs cars, then it's probably less safe for me cars vs motorcycle.  But dang, it was a really good section of road!  

Anyone else lose a favorite curvy road for safety?!  

As I re-read this, I realize I'm just sorta ranting.  Sorry

I think this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Someone is going to lose control on that road (motorcycle or car) and if their lawyer (or the insurance company's) can prove that the grooved road was a contributing factor then the DOT is going to have to pay (since it was intentionally grooved) which means the taxpayers pay. I definitely could be wrong, just a thought I had.

Sorry you lost your road...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

3-4 years ago, CA did some work on Hwy 1 between Leggett and the Ocean and ruined it. It is still good, but they did exactly the same thing as you mention above, but not on all corners, making it even worse as you think you are through the work area and 10 corners later you run into some more. Also, by roughing up the surface, it also ruined the asphalt into chipping up aggergate, so it really works you over. I thought they were preping the surface to repave, but NOT.

To give you an idea of this section of road, it thrills like Deals Gap (not as many corners) only twice as long and twice the speed, but with many 10-20 mph corners to slow you down. We used to be able to ride it at our fastest street speed, and only incounter a few cars, but now must do like the highway department wants, slower.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I think this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Someone is going to lose control on that road (motorcycle or car) and if their lawyer (or the insurance company's) can prove that the grooved road was a contributing factor then the DOT is going to have to pay (since it was intentionally grooved) which means the taxpayers pay. I definitely could be wrong, just a thought I had. 
Most likely not on the law suit issue.  If driving at a safe speed, the speed limit or suggested corner speeds, auto drivers and motorcyclist shouldn't have any problem with the rougher surface.  Meaning that it may be irratating, or cause you to tighten your grip, but not unsafe.  Most of us get into corners and don't realize that we are at or approaching twice those suggested speeds as posted.  Many states have quite using those suggested speeds signs and gone to just reposting curvy sections of road at 30-35 mph.  Like Colorado.  

3-4 years ago, CA did some work on Hwy 1 between Leggett and the Ocean and ruined it.
Ruined! Stay away, stay very far away!  
I had no fun at all on it last summer and for some reason it's on my route again this summer. Blast!

Hopefully it is on your list this year to be one of the first to experience the repave.  It's on my list to. 

Yeah, no lawsuit. They do it all the time all over the place. And have been since forever.

• Supporting Member
Ruined! Stay away, stay very far away!  
I had no fun at all on it last summer and for some reason it's on my route again this summer. Blast!

Hopefully it is on your list this year to be one of the first to experience the repave.  It's on my list to. 

Are you talking about Fort Bragg to Leggett?  We rode that stretch in August, heading North, from Fort Bragg up to Leggett.  The section right on the coast was under construction and in pretty rough shape but once we got into the trees everything was in great condition, no grooved corners.   It was my first time riding there, and it was everything you described, fantastic road to release your inner hooligan.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived