Multiple Minor Mistakes Made

Riding home from work yesterday, a lovely KTM 1290 Super Adventure filtered to the front of a red stoplight a lane over.  As I admired his machine, the light changed, and he took off fast.  I took off a moment later and had the pleasure of watching him power wheelie through second and third gear.  As such, I "forgot" to shift out of second and roared past the redline...  Shifted as soon as the bike complained.  Odd noise, jerked by halting acceleration, stupid feeling for basic riding phuck-up and letting myself get so distracted while riding.  Ugh.

Fifteen minutes later I stopped for fuel, still feeling like an idiot, and proceeded to put regular octane fuel in by habit (old bike and car take 87).  Realized as I was riding away.  Double ugh.

Anyways.  I feel stupid and wanted to share my ineptitude to get it off my chest.  Do either of these mistakes have long term consequences?  Probably not.  Just goes to show, no matter how long you've been riding (12 years for me) we're all prone to momentary lapses.  Luckily this one wasn't catastropic.

• Supporting Member
No worries on either issue.   I've run up against the rev limiter on several occasions, with zero damage...  it's there to protect us from ourselves.

I've run 87 octane when nothing else was available, and it's been fine.  You might want to top it off with 93 after you've burned through half a tank or so, but again, nothing to worry about.

Nice avatar!  Fellow UT grad? 

• Supporting Member
Fifteen minutes later I stopped for fuel, still feeling like an idiot, and proceeded to put regular octane fuel in by habit (old bike and car take 87).  Realized as I was riding away.  Double ugh. 

I have done that a few times myself, everything I own runs on 87, its just a habit to me when I stop in for a quick refuel.  I didn't notice one bit of difference running 87. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yep, raised in the ATX and attended UT.  I currently hang my hat out in California.  Based on your username, I'd guess you're still in Texas?

On a slightly related note, has anyone manged to pull a power wheelie on their FJ?  I quite enjoy fast takeoffs from the front of a stoplight and have not managed a single power wheelie.  Does the TC prevent it?  Am I not goosing the throttle enough?  Hmmm.

Yep, raised in the ATX and attended UT.  I currently hang my hat out in California.  Based on your username, I'd guess you're still in Texas? 
On a slightly related note, has anyone manged to pull a power wheelie on their FJ?  I quite enjoy fast takeoffs from the front of a stoplight and have not managed a single power wheelie.  Does the TC prevent it?  Am I not goosing the throttle enough?  Hmmm.
If you shut the TC off and snap the throttle open this thing will power wheelie like crazy. It'll do it enough to bring it right over on you if you get too hamfisted. 

• Supporting Member

Too funny... I went the other way. Grew up in California, moved to Austin to attend college at UT, and been in Houston ever since.

Oh, and the secret to ridiculous power wheelies is A-Mode and TCS off. Just be careful!

Archived