Problem installing GIVI top case

patrickjs5

Yesterday I installed the GIVI SR2122 support bracket and M8B mounting plate.  Simple install, no issues.  At the very last step, when I went to attach the actual top case (Outback Trekker 42L), I was unable to click it into place.  It wasn't even close.  The anti-vibe grommets are much too large and prevent the case from hinging down, but these inserts were included with the case itself and the instructions include them as necessary with the mounting plate.  Here are some pics (not sure if the uploader worked; my work blocks all photos on this forum for some reason, here's the album link if it didn't work: http://imgur.com/a/YRig4?)

YRig4

I did already contact GIVI.  Some cursory googling didn't reveal any solutions; the keywords used might have been the issue, since I'm not entirely sure what to call this.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Any thoughts or recommendations on how to get this damn top case to click into place?

Thanks!

(P.S. mods feel free to move the thread if this should be in the accessories section of the forum)

They are indeed all monokey.  I agree with your observation; the anti-vibes are too tall in relation to the case attachment points, but I don't know what to do about it.  Are the attachment points adjustable?  I could definitely rig some way of adding spacers or cutting down the anti-vibe nubs, but feel like this should be unnecessary for a brand new setup.

Yesterday I installed the GIVI SR2122 support bracket and M8B mounting plate.  Simple install, no issues.  At the very last step, when I went to attach the actual top case (Outback Trekker 42L), I was unable to click it into place.  It wasn't even close.  The anti-vibe grommets are much too large and prevent the case from hinging down, but these inserts were included with the case itself and the instructions include them as necessary with the mounting plate.  Here are some pics (not sure if the uploader worked; my work blocks all photos on this forum for some reason, here's the album link if it didn't work: http://imgur.com/a/YRig4?
YRig4

I did already contact GIVI.  Some cursory googling didn't reveal any solutions; the keywords used might have been the issue, since I'm not entirely sure what to call this.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Any thoughts or recommendations on how to get this damn top case to click into place?

Thanks!

(P.S. mods feel free to move the thread if this should be in the accessories section of the forum)

To post a pic please click the button that says "add image to post" then search your computer for pics, then click upload. It will drop the pic code into your post for you.

imgur. photobucket not needed and they are not stable anymore.

Look in advrider forum. I don't have it with me here but there's a very good write up on this. The issue you mentioned was discussed and some easy fix is available. I may be able to find it later tonight if you need further help.

Those are all monokey right? In your photo of the plate the height of the case attachment standoffs vs the anti-vibe buttons look incorrect to me. It could be something with the photos but it looks like it wouldn't work unless the anti-vibe buttons were shorter or the attachment standoffs higher. EG in this photo from twisted throttle the standoffs look taller in relationship to the anti-vibe buttons 

Untitled.png

Mine plate doesn't look like that. I have M7 givi plate.

Yes, the M7 and M8 plates are functionally very similar. The M8 looks better, is metal instead of plastic, and costs twice as much. With the aluminum Outback case I really wanted the metal plate.

@cbr600, I searched advrider and found a few related threads, but nothing that discussed a simple fix. Would really appreciate a link if it's not too much trouble.

The Givi support crew has admitted that the spacers are much too thick. I'm going to mount the case myself while waiting to see if Givi will send me a set of spacers that actually work with this setup. Thanks everyone for chiming in! I'll post a pic or two once it's all mounted up.

• Premium Member
I would just remove the spacers and see if the case moves at all - if it does need some supports or something to absorb vibration then just get some of those gel sticky pads used on the base of kitchen appliances whilst waiting until the Apocalypse for Givi to do something. Givi make some great products but sometimes their universal components aren't quite universal...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived