Fuel tank cover fitting question

wayfarerrr

Hi Folks!

I bought a secondhand Tracer during the Eastern and couldn´t be happier with it. After I got it to my garage I disassembled the tank covering and tank itself to add vacuum hose for Scottoiler system. 

Scottoiler is working fine but I faced some uncertainty when re-fitting the tank covering. Could someone please help with the following about the picture below?

1. Is it normal to have these two holes marked with red arrows on top of the tank? I guess they are for air venting, but since there are already breather hoses under the tank, this got me suspicious. Especially because the bike is used.

2. Should the top tank cover to be fitted with the bolts marked by blue or by green arrow? I´m guessing the green as it is 4mm hex bolt while the blue is 3mm, but would be nice to have confirmation about it..

Of course, all this could have been avoided by taking photos before touching anything. But you know, being all excited about the new bike.. :D

yRl4fLs.jpg

I just had my tank off today. The silver bolt goes in the location marked by red arrows. I have no idea where that black bolt goes. There was only two black bolts when I pulled my tank and they were about half the length of the one your holding.

• Premium Member
Nothing goes in the holes marked by the red arrow. The silver screws attach on the angles on the top of the red arrows to hold on the outside molding. The black bole looks like one of the bolts on the side holding on the tank through a silver bracket on both sides.
My bolt like that is silver, but it is the one place I remember where a long screw with a small head goes.
 5216723.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks for all the answers!

It´s very likely that the long black bolts are not from the bike at all. They might have just ended up to the pile of tank cover parts mistakenly (my wife was working with her MTB in the garage at the same time..)

I also checked all the tank fitting locations (including the silver bracket) and nothing was missing.

However the holes on top of the tank give me creeps! Especially if you guys think that your FJ´s don´t have them? The previous owner apparently had the OEM Yamaha tank bag clamp holder installed, but I doubt adding that would require drilling new holes to the tank...??

I guess I´ll look some plugs for those holes just in case. It would also be helpful if someone could send a photos about setup in that location, to have something to compare?

Cheers!

• Premium Member
Thanks for all the answers! 
It´s very likely that the long black bolts are not from the bike at all. They might have just ended up to the pile of tank cover parts mistakenly (my wife was working with her MTB in the garage at the same time..)

I also checked all the tank fitting locations (including the silver bracket) and nothing was missing.

However the holes on top of the tank give me creeps! Especially if you guys think that your FJ´s don´t have them? The previous owner apparently had the OEM Yamaha tank bag clamp holder installed, but I doubt adding that would require drilling new holes to the tank...??

I guess I´ll look some plugs for those holes just in case. It would also be helpful if someone could send a photos about setup in that location, to have something to compare?

Cheers!
Those holes with threads are there, just not used. The screws go in the top bracket and stop short of those threads. Nothing to hold or secure there, so don't worry. In aviation, if a thread is not used we fill it up (cap, plug, etc), but on a motorcycle, no need. Check out the how to section for tank removal pictures. This will work: linky1
This will also help: linky2

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest reeseyboy
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but those "breather" holes shouldn't be there. It looks like someone has used bolts that are far too long and they have pierced the tank. I'm fairly (95%) sure my tank doesn't have these holes.

I just had my tank off today and it doesn't have those holes. All the threaded fastener used to hold on the tank covers, side covers, etc. are the same length except for two exceptions. The bolts that hold the tank to the frame are much longer, as pointed to in ULEWZ's first picture.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but those "breather" holes shouldn't be there. It looks like someone has used bolts that are far too long and they have pierced the tank. I'm fairly (95%) sure my tank doesn't have these holes.

What he said! ^ some muppet has destroyed your tank by punching two holes in it with extra long screws, the brackets themselves have also been bent up as well.. Either get some one professional to weld them up, or replace. I don't like that jb weld stuff..

Appreciated your comments Gentelemen!

It really seems that some creative individual has been working with the tank.. I cut some M5 bolts shorter and added them with rubber gaskets to the holes, at least for start. Let´s see if the replacement is needed.

I hope there is a filter for fuel as default, in case the drilling caused metal chips which ended up into tank.

6f0kXyQl.jpg

• Premium Member
Just looked at my tank as well, no holes in the tank under those above tabs.
Whoever did that must have used a power drill to screw a the longer bolts/screws to punch holes in the below metal, and as noted you can see the tabs were bent up in the process of this being done.

Can you maybe poke something like a large pin or similar through the holes to see if they went into the tank, with the right tool you may be able to feel if the tank was even touched by the screws, if there is a dimple in there or any roughness to the internal tank wall.

(Or point a laser pointer into the hole and look in the filler cap for the light)

Archived