SW Motech skid plate

I fitted the SW Motech skid plate as I have a habit of bumping the bike up kerbs and the oil drain point is quite low. Our car park at work has too many people and not enough spaces so yesterday I play Mr Nice Guy and park the bike on a raised area to leave spaces for others. I've done it many times and have perhaps got too blase about it.

Going home, it's sunny so I'm heating up in bike gear already and I dropped off the kerb faster than I usually do and at a slight angle. Almighty crash noise, followed by sounds of scraping. Thankfully the plate has done its job, no leakages so I could ride home and look at the damage. The plate was pushed into the headers and there is a tiny scrape mark.

hit_the_headers.jpg

The plate itself was buckled along one side and gouged where I first hit. No idea what poor bug got squashed in the process !

buckled.jpg

You can see the bend in the left side in this photo.

damaged.jpg

I took it all off and sulked for a while. Then realised the plate had done exactly what it was meant to do and took the damage instead of the bike. Twenty minutes with a lump hammer straightened the plate back out again as it is aluminium and therefore malleable. The hangers took a bit more finessing but it was only really the right hand side that was very distorted. I ended up redrilling the mounting holes as I couldn't get it any closer.

redrilled.jpg

So, in summary: the plate does it's job to protect the underside from eejits like me and can be remounted with minimal skills if required. I'm glad I have it on the bike.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Looks like alittle blood on the bottom of that skid plate.
It's the only way to deal with pedestrians ?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I considered the SW Motech skid plate after I punched the drain plug up thru my oil pan last year. I was concerned about where the mounting brackets attached to the engine. It looks like your mounting brackets bent with no damage to the engine. I ended up installing a Higdonion cage instead. I've drug the left rear corner of it in turns and banged it on rough roads and cattle guards but the only damage was to the powder coat. Glad you and your bike survived.

• 1 month later...

Archived