Front brake switch adjustment

Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the front brake switch?  When I apply the front brake, it engages and starts slowing the bike before engaging the brake light switch.  So I have to press hard on the front brake for the light to come on.

• Supporting Member
It sounds like it might be stuck or sticking. When the brake lever is not in use the switch is compressed, when you pull in the lever the switch extends. Pull it off it should be 2 small Philips head screws) and see if it is binding.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...
I'm a bit late to this. I have the opposite problem, the brake light comes on far too early way before the brakes start working - about 3mm travel.
As I have a Cruise Control I've started noticing the unit dropping control because of the brake switch, it is so sensitive it will activate on an uneven road surface. I've often had complaints from my riding friends who tell me I'm riding on the brakes

Did your resolve yours?

I'm a bit late to this. I have the opposite problem, the brake light comes on far too early way before the brakes start working - about 3mm travel. As I have a Cruise Control I've started noticing the unit dropping control because of the brake switch, it is so sensitive it will activate on an uneven road surface. I've often had complaints from my riding friends who tell me I'm riding on the brakes

Did your resolve yours?
Are you sure it's not a sticky rear brake sensor? A few of us had/have picky rear brake sensors... 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

That was the first place I looked @norcal616 as I have had the rear switch stick on this and previous Yamaha's. What I did find was it isn't adjusted correctly and will only come on when the pedal is firmly depressed, by which time I'm sure the rear wheel would have locked, but still well worth a check, thanks for your reply

I had thought of the front sticking, but it seemed to click perfectly every time I pressed the lever - could be that I may have 'unstuck' it by so many depressions. It still have the problem with the light coming on what I consider to be way too early though. Could well be sticking internally as all I can see is the pin moving in and out as it should. It goes in for its 30k mile service next Monday, I'll have the dealer check it out.

@owle, other than the clutch and possibly the brake switch, the tail bracket which has sheared (that more Givi specific issue) and one of the screws holding the fairing bracket (my fault for not doing a proper pre ride check) the rest has been consumables - tyres and chain (the second one might be end of life)! There could be a link with the causes of the switches and the relatively short chain life and that is corrosion, there are some signs of it on the fasteners and some of the metal surfaces - I have ridden in all seasons, don't stop for winter except when it snows.
Other than that the bike has been as good as gold.

Hey jumpjet...
Mine had that too. I noticed when I mounted some chinese levers, thinking that was the reason, but I allso checked the stock levers, and they had the same issue.
I ended up filing ~2mm off the switch pin to correct the issue (in small steps). Works perfectly now.

@jumpjet @jan I just noticed mine doing this today. I think I will take jan's approach.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived