There are two routes to get to WalMart from here...

I understand the age thing, I'm 51 and am already getting kinda sore so I'm getting in all the dirt riding while I still can.  
I've been gone from Maine for a while, did it get built over with retail since I left in 86? I hope not. I have some great memories of growing up riding dirtbikes in Maine on trails, in fields, logging roads, dirt roads in the 70's and 80's.

What part of Maine were you in? 
Here in Downeast Maine, there just isn't much.  Very few dirt roads and most of them are in the blueberry barrens and are heavily patrolled by owners.  I got kicked out of a few in the early 70's and just quit trying to ride there.  Woods roads are usually passable only with skidders or skipjacks.  

They did recently open the "Sunrise Trail" on old Maine Central track right of way, but it's crowded with side-by-sides donking along at 10mph and I'm not sure dirt bikes are even allowed.  I know anything licensed for the road is a no-no.

Out here in the sticks not much has changed, but the town of Ellsworth has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 15 years or so.  Used to be once the summercators left and all the Bah Hahbah traffic thinned out, you could get around okay.  Now it's bumper-to-bumper pretty much year around.

I grew up in West Gardiner. I haven't been back since 94. Worked at BIW in Bath for a couple years, got laid off and joined the Army, came out west to Fort Lewis and fell in love with the Westcoast.

I used to ride places where I didn't have permission alot, they had to catch me to stop me and that hardly happened. When I was 14 I used my paperboy money and bought a Honda 250 Elsinore and am still surprised that bike didn't kill me. Rode alot of logging roads, a ton of powerlines, fields, whatever I could find. But I was a kid and didn't have any fear.

Call centers pay better, and you can wear shorts and flip flops to work.... And you get paid 2x what Wallmart pays, with full medical benefits too.

Why anyone would work at WalMart is beyond me. Even McDonalds has better side benefits.

If the fools in DC would just get out of the way, and Trump can jump-start our economy for 4% growth or more for a few years?

Wages will go up for most of the nation, and energy costs will/should go down. Might even see some industry come back into the USA and "free" trade deals that actually are fair to the American economy...

What a concept. ;)

Or I suppose we can keep going at .5% annual GDP growth and all work at WalMart?

• Supporting Member
...So let's stick with motorcycles and we'll be ok...

Absolutely. Sometime my humor makes way more sense in my head than it does in plain text on a forum... :)

I think you have done an AMAZING job organizing, administering, and monitoring this FJ forum. I can't begin to imagine the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to keep it fun and drama-free for the rest of us. It is truly appreciated.

-Scott

Archived