RIP Nicky Hayden

• Supporting Member
@admin - Thanks for starting this thread.   The hardest thing for me is that it just feels so personal.   To most of the world, Nicky was a MotoGP World Champion and all-around great guy.   But I still remember Nicky as the little kid that showed up as part of Earl's clan of fast & fun kids at our CRRC/CMRA races back in the early 1990s.  I was lucky enough to be racing there to see the Haydens, Colin Edwards, Ben Spies, et al get their start...   and no matter how far Nicky got with his professional career, those of us that were there for the early days still feel like he's just one of us.   That's what makes his loss so hard to accept.

My Facebook feed is full of stories that we all have of 'the good old days' with Tommy, Nicky, and Roger Lee.  But this picture is the one that really made me smile:  Taken at Oak Hill Raceway around 1990 or 1991:  The Hayden boys and Barbie Spears (a very fast local YSR racer)... they simply enjoyed racing and being part of something special.  This group is responsible from one of my favorite racing quotes, from my tuner at the time:  "Great weekend for you!  You only got beat by the women and children" 

Special memories.   Nicky was a class act...  Fast, dedicated, and humble.   My heart truly goes out to his family and friends. 

Hayden-_Spears.jpg

Archived