Spring 2017 Smokies Trip

madeuce216

Cool write up. Do you use a GPS for planning your route? I'm in the Orlando area and I want to do a trip to Helen, Ga. and explore the area, I've been several times on my Ural to Franklin, Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge parkway but I've trailered the rig up there. Any suggestions?
I don't no.   My friend has a Garmin.  Although for the life of me I don't know why as he complains about it all the time.  The route we took was suggested by AAA.  He asked them for a suggestion and they plotted a route on a paper map.  We pretty much followed that.  Since you are coming from Orlando, you could probably take a route fairly close to what we took.  Although, I am guessing you want to a avoid any highway work.  You might want to take a look at 441.   Or even 27 to 441.   That will take you through Lake City and most if not all the way.  Here is a link to my spotwalla trip.  You can see how the roads paralell and intersect. 

Spowalla Trip

Nice write up and pictures, thanks for sharing. I'm leaving tomorrow headed down there for our annual moto-vacay at Deals Gap. There's a whole group of us that go every year (it actually started as the National SV Rally) and this year will be my 9th year, I think. I love it down there. So many great roads, such beautiful scenery. It's one of my favorite vacation destinations. 

I'm right there with you. I look forward to this trip all year. Everytime I come home I get depressed because the riding here is just not very exciting.

@madeuce216 A few years back I got caught in a bad thunderstorm while riding my old FZ-6 on the Cherahola. Reading your ride report of that day brought back the memories of that ride... so thanks for that hahaha!

I have the Puig touring screen with the removable deflector. During the summer I take the deflector off and deal with the noise in favor of more wind flow and during the winter the deflector stays on for wind protection and it is very quiet. Might be worth looking into if the noise starts to bother you. Earplugs are good for that too..

Good write up! Looks like you guys had a great time despite the weather.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Nice ride report, hope your next trip isn't as wet.
I imagine that B mode was used quite a bit! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Great write up ?? 
How tall are you & what size madstad is that? Trying to figure out since i am looking at the madstad currently.
I am 5'11 and have the 20" screen.   Madstad made a 20 and 22 for me to try as I can ride in.    The 22 caused alot of buffeting.   The only way to stop it was to raise it and then I was looking through.  The 20 at about half way and 65 degree tilt is just about perfect.   The noise I get is at my top helmet vents and top of the shield.  However, it's not a show stopper and I am fine with it even at highway speeds.  Besides a taller screen would be too hot for me here in Florida.  I need airflow I just don't need the roar that the stock screen allows.  I even tried an MRA sport screen and didn't think it was that great of an improvement.

Thank you. I'm 5'11 too & that helps perfectly.

@madeuce216 A few years back I got caught in a bad thunderstorm while riding my old FZ-6 on the Cherahola. Reading your ride report of that day brought back the memories of that ride... so thanks for that hahaha! 
I have the Puig touring screen with the removable deflector. During the summer I take the deflector off and deal with the noise in favor of more wind flow and during the winter the deflector stays on for wind protection and it is very quiet. Might be worth looking into if the noise starts to bother you. Earplugs are good for that too..

Good write up! Looks like you guys had a great time despite the weather.
Thanks.   The Madstad works very well.  I am officially out of the screen hunting business.   And yes, Earplugs do work very well.  I have a collection of 25-30 db rated plugs for different scenarios.   The 30's I use for Freeway and they work very well for that.  

Nice ride report, hope your next trip isn't as wet.
I imagine that B mode was used quite a bit!
Indeed it was at first.  To be honest, I sort of got used to it after awhile and didn't worry about it too much.  I never felt any wheel slip or anything like that.  i ain't no street rossi wet or dry anyhow.

Archived