Spring 2017 Smokies Trip

madeuce216

Hi everyone.  This is my first foray into documenting a moto trip.  I've lurked on here for quite awhile and thought it was time to contribute.  I try to get to get up to North Georgia and camp at Two Wheels Only in Suches at least once a year.  In the past and friend and I will trailer up.  I bought the FJ so I could ride up.  Couldn't see myself do that on my old bike (Speed Triple).  I could have chosen a larger bike for the task but I wanted a small nimble mount that I could occasionally tour on.   In any case, I spent several months outfitting the bike in a fashion I thought would work.

IMG_1257.jpg

Picture Quality isn't the best  I know.  Here is another one where I test fit the bags..

IMG_1252.jpg

I took a week for the trip to account for rain cutting into all the fun.  Seems like everytime I go up there I lose at least two days to poor weather.   We took a route using secondary roads for the most part.  No way am I riding through Atlanta.  Besides, I find the back roads more enjoyable generally and I really don't find the slower speeds to be that big of a deal.  We had agreed to take alot of breaks as well.   This pic was just outside our traditional Waffle house stop.  My friend bought his Versys 1000 just before I got the FJ-09.

IMG_1259.jpg

You can see the route here.   I haven't figured out how to break out the routes by day on spotwalla so you are seeing the total trip.  

Route.jpg

Basically, we took 75 to lake city then picked up 441/129 through Athens.  Trip up to Athens was nice wiht only very light misty rain in parts.  We never even stopped to don rain gear.  I did have a unpleasant encounter aroud Jasper Fla with a Bumble bee at 60 mph.  He hit my right cheek (the one on my face) as I had my visor up to get some airflow.  

IMG_1260.jpg

Before we started out I dropped the FJ in my friends driveway. There was a low spot where the driveway meets the road and I lost my balance. The friggin thing is HEAVY with all that luggage and camping gear and I just could not recover. Luckily, I had recently intalled frame sliders and all the bike sustained were scratches on the puck and hand guards. Let me tell you, we were really looking for Athens by the time we got up there.  

So we finally arrived in Dahlonega Ga.  I think this was around 5-6pm or so.  And boy was I glad to see it.  We stopped at Moe's and I was hungry as hell.  Afterward, we started off for the leg over Woody Gap and then TWO.  It was then that the heavens opened and the rains came.  A real soaker too.  We saw this coming and got our rain gear on.  Made it to the camp ground and set up in the rain.  Not fun.  Now, I did plan on this sort of thing and packed accordingly.  However, there were shortfalls in my planning.  Nothing real major but inconvenient nevertheless.  Setting up a tent in the rain just sucks.  No matter what you do water gets into something.

Now, orignally I had suggested getting a cabin for the first night knowing we would be tired and less inclined to set things up after a long ride.  In additon, I had in mind just this scenario with the rain.   My partner said "Naaah we'll be alright".  We are both cheap bastards so it didn't take much to talk me out of the idea.  Won't happen again though.  It rained all night.  The next day, we decided to get that cabin and just hang out for a day as the rain was expected to continue unitl that afternoon.  The rain finally did cease around 1 pm.  We were then able to get everything dried out.  Here are  few pics for the reader to chuckle over.

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

So the next day we started out for the Iron Horse Lodge just outside Robbinsville.  We took a circuitous route by way of SR60 on up to McCaysville and had lunch there.  60 is a favorite of mine.  There are parts of this route where it is possible to see all your upcoming turns and you are surrounded by Tree canopy almost like a cave.  It was about halfway through here that my partner had a mishap and dropped the Versys while pulling out of a rest stop and going up hill.   The road kind of cambers to the left and he failed to power out enough.  No real damage but did scrape one of the panniers.  Oh well, that's Florida riders for ya.  

We to get the Iron Horse and get settled in,  not setting up camp in the rain is really nice.  I was able to set up my hammock and just use my small one man tent for gear etc.  

IMG_1264.jpg

You can get alot of shit on this little Yamaha.

So we head out to do some riding around the area.   I then get a text from my brother about how there is a BIG storm on the way.  Thunder, Lightning, Hail.  All that good stuff.  The radar reveals a line of storms that seem to extend across the whole damn country!  awwwwww maaaaaannn..  

That night the next day rain rain rain..  Check the radar.  

"Looks like it might be just moving through"

"Yeah sure hope so"

Nope, kept right on raining.  Good thing about the Iron Horse is that you can hang out in the lodge or catch the races in one of the TV rooms.  

IMG_1289.jpg

Orignally, I had planned to ride up to the little switzerland area and hit some roads around there.   Doing so would have mean following the rain.  Also, my friend has some health issues and I didn't want to push it.  So we decided to stay at the Iron  Horse another night and hit the the ususal roads around the area.  We were also confident the rain would subisde the following day.    Next day started off as planned, we hit the dragon then back to Robbinsville for lunch then the Cherahola.  While at lunch it started raining hard again.  Well damn.  Screw it.  Let's proceed as planned.  That's why they gave ya traction control and rain gear right?  Besides I see those UK boys go riding in this stuff all the time.  Get over it!!

Sorry no pics on the Cherahola.  That ride was just plain shitty.  High winds, tree limbs and leaves all over the road.  Wet and cold to boot.  I couldn't wait to get down to Tellico Plains.  By the time we did, the weather cleared.  Time to start getting back.  On the way we stopped at the hub for bite to eat.  I got a kick out of this sign in the john and couldn't resist a pic.  

IMG_1307.jpg

That place has pretty good food too. Always passed by it but never stopped.

By this time, it's ime to start planning the trip back.  We head back to Suches and get a Cabin for Thursday and Friday planning an early rise on Saturday for the Trip Home.  A little more rain on Thursday but not bad.  Friday we had full day of great riding.  We hit the Richard Russell, 76 to Clayon, Warwoman road to 28 then up to Highlands for a Burrito at Pescado's.  Then up 64 to Franklin.  Then it's back to Suches to start packing up.  The day turned out beautiful.

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

And then the long ride home.  A couple thoughts on the FJ

[ul type=disc][*]Like everyone says, the seat is not the best.  I did it, but I had a gel pad.  Even with that, I was very uncomfortable at certain points of the trip.  I will have an aftermarket seat before my next trip.  I'm not looking for 12-hour Iron Butt comfort and I have ridden bikes with worse seats.  But long term, the seat has to go.[*]I have to admit, when we started out I was kind of wishing I had my friends Versys.  Afterward, i don't think so.   The FJ performs very well in the mountains. Light and nimble.  Even with the extra weight It handled very well.  I got accustomed to the luggage and handling after my first run up a mountain.  it was no problem.  The FJ and I will be together for a few years to come.[*]I have a madstad screen.  Even with that, the bike is fairly noisy.  Not as bad as the stock screen but still noisy.  I am fine with it as it's too hot to have a taller screen where I live.  If you want quiet, get a tall screen you have to look through or get another bike.  I can tell you on the versys the madstad makes it scary quiet in the cockpit.  I think that weird fairing the FJ has causes much of the noise.[/ul]

Well that's it folks.  Hopefully, I can have another go in the fall.  If not, next spring.....

IMG_1342.jpg

Great write up ?? 
How tall are you & what size madstad is that? Trying to figure out since i am looking at the madstad currently.
I am 5'11 and have the 20" screen.   Madstad made a 20 and 22 for me to try as I can ride in.    The 22 caused alot of buffeting.   The only way to stop it was to raise it and then I was looking through.  The 20 at about half way and 65 degree tilt is just about perfect.   The noise I get is at my top helmet vents and top of the shield.  However, it's not a show stopper and I am fine with it even at highway speeds.  Besides a taller screen would be too hot for me here in Florida.  I need airflow I just don't need the roar that the stock screen allows.  I even tried an MRA sport screen and didn't think it was that great of an improvement.

• Premium Member
Cool write up. Do you use a GPS for planning your route? I'm in the Orlando area and I want to do a trip to Helen, Ga. and explore the area, I've been several times on my Ural to Franklin, Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge parkway but I've trailered the rig up there. Any suggestions?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Nice write up and pictures, thanks for sharing. I'm leaving tomorrow headed down there for our annual moto-vacay at Deals Gap. There's a whole group of us that go every year (it actually started as the National SV Rally) and this year will be my 9th year, I think. I love it down there. So many great roads, such beautiful scenery. It's one of my favorite vacation destinations.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived