Handle bar recall and Flash

In the last few weeks I've been mulling over getting an exhaust and a flash from 2wheeldyno. After thinking about it for awhile I decided I was actually happy with the sound and look of the stock muffler, so I would just get the flash for it and not spend more money for a muffler. I was taking it in to my dealer Saturday morning to get the handle bar recall done and the plan was Sunday afternoon after riding on the weekend to remove the ECU and send off Monday to be Flashed. As I was waiting for the dealer to do the recall I mentioned I was going to send the ECU off and they said that they could flash it. I had never thought about them doing it. I told them that 2wheeldyno had developed a great map that really smoothed out the bike and added horsepower among other things. They told me the map they would download would be from Flashtunes and wouldn't have the horsepower gains like 2wheels but they could do the rest. They made me a deal on no labor, just paying for the flash. I felt bad not sending it to 2wheeldyno as they are a great vendor with great results, but I really only cared about starting in A mode, changing the fan temp and top speed limiter, It never bothered me to much about how smooth it was and if it smoothed it out some much better. They also changed some other things like AIS I believe and I'm pretty clueless about so I'm not going to act like I know what is going on. Not having to ship out the ECU and having it done right then sold me. In less than a hour the recall and the flash was done and I was on my way. Immediately I could tell the throttle response was much smoother, A mode felt as smooth or smoother than the standard mode. As for the top speed, I very rarely ever venture up there so I tried to not think about it and I figured if I was going to test it I would do it with my Shad hard sidecases off as to not temp the dreaded high speed wobble but as most off my plans go it was not to be. Everything was fine until Sunday afternoon I decided to ride the backroads to a nearby lake and when I stopped at a stop sign on a deserted road the demon speed possessed me. I nailed in it first and the front wheel hopped a couple off times than stayed up a few inch's off the ground thru the rest of first, it usually hops all they way thru first. In second I bounced it off the rev limiter, it took me a second to figure out what was going on as I've never hit it before, in third I saw 110 on the speedometer when a car pulled out of a driveway a few hundred yards ahead on me and I shut it down immediately. Luckily they were going the opposite direction from me so I didn't have to dodge them. I didn't get as fast as I wanted but it scared me and I held it down after that. The bike felt completely stable at whatever speed I was really at. I'll find a better place if I ever try that again. I'm happy with the results but I'm in no way saying don't use 2wheeldyno it was just the right thing for me at the time.        

• Premium Member
More fun and a reason to flash, So I am in Pueblo Colorado at a stop light on an empty city road on a sleepy Memorial Day morning. My wife is behind me on her Honda. A Nissan Z car pulls up next to me. I am cleaning my glasses and don't notice. He hits it when the light changes and I tuck the glasses away . Hit the gas in Standard mode, (no time to switch) blast and pass the Z within 100 feet. My wife is laughing through the intercom and life is good.

Check out 2wheeldynoworks.com Nels is very personable and the king of good service. He has flashed a ton of our bikes.

I sent it in March, he couldn't flash it, didn't have the access code.

My 17 version stays in whichever mode you last used it in, when I picked mine up 2 months ago, briefly tried all modes then left it 'A' mode... been there ever since... Not sure about anything else but the throttle response feels fine so as it stands I'm not sure if the 17 version needs the flash?

My 17 version stays in whichever mode you last used it in, when I picked mine up 2 months ago, briefly tried all modes then left it 'A' mode... been there ever since... Not sure about anything else but the throttle response feels fine so as it stands I'm not sure if the 17 version needs the flash?
I have a '15 and leave it in A-Mode exclusively. I also think the throttle is fine. I did get mine flashed since I got an Akrapovic. Should get my ECU back today! 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived