Naming Vehicles

I used to think our family was "odd" because my wife and kids often tend to name our vehicles. After seeing the poll to nickname our bike, and other references to folks naming their bikes, I feel we're not alone. Figured I'd share and see if there are others who have given vehicles names and let the interesting stories begin.
It began with our 99 Saturn SL2 which we named Betsy from the Beach Boys song since it just seemed indestructible and it was a fixture in both our kids lives since we had it for 11yrs.
Then when we began fostering, we inevitably needed the minivan. So the 2000 Windstar became known as the "Burgundy Baby Bus".
The replacement for the SL2 came in the form of a Saturn Ion Redline, and the kids pulled another one from our Beach Boys "driving music" and called him Deuce ( as in Deuce coupe, and second Saturn)
Along came the wife's 2013 Kia Rio5. The kids thought the mirrors had an odd shape like the things on Shrek's head so she got "Fiona".
The latest is my 06 Explorer which just got " Beast".
I am fairly new to motorcycles so my list of bikes is short, but my first bike (CBR500RA) was named Gypsy by my wife "because she takes me wandering".
That brings us to the FJ09....my kids overheard a British reviewer say that the headlights reminded him of the Street Triple....kind of a "WALL-E" look. Well that was it, my kids loved that movie and it seems it may stick. I was hoping they would like "Mantis" but I guess it's better than "stupid motorcycle" right?
Let's hear your vehicle naming stories.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Guest eatpasta
Sometimes that name thing just doesnt work for me.
I bought a Jeep CJ-7 when I was 15 and have had it for 20+ years and it was always "Lucy" - Im not even sure why or how it got the name but it just fit.

ry%3D400

other than that, only one bike name ever stuck. I had a near showroom 1983 CB1100F for awhile - she was Scarlett. Gorgeous bike

ry%3D400

I have never named any of my bikes but have quite a few friends that have. I like the FJ name voted the most favorite but this model will always be the FJ9 to me. That is in eager anticipation of a vastly improved FJ10 in the future.

but this model will always be the FJ9 to me. That is in eager anticipation of a vastly improved FJ10 in the future.
Why Fjer?  The existing 847cc engine is perfect.  Excellent hp, torque, size, weight, to improve it would be to make it better w/o changing the basic size and concept.  Yamaha, spends millions of dollars on development, employees very smart engineers, and monitors the world markets in developing these bikes.  If you want a liter bike get a FZ-1, it is a fantastic bike, and by the sound of the need for more, would most likely suit you better. 
For me, the only improvements that would make this bike better, at the current cost level, is to include heated grips and cruise, and they could add a few dollars to do that.  They don't put much money in the seat or the windscreen, because these two items are rider specific items and need to be changed for specific uses and needs based on the rider.  No real need to complain about them as there is no way they could ever get them right for everyone anyway.  That last statement also applies to the engine.

BTW:  Welcome to the site.  Sit back and lurk for awhile and get a feel for this bike, you will enjoy the batter from the sport folks looking for 5 more hp and also the touring folk that want to ride more miles in comfort.  Enjoy. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I have had a lot of vehicles (and by a lot I mean a lot) and have never named them, except for one... Stewie.

I am not sure anymore why we ended up with that name. I suspect it has something to do with little Stewie from Family guy (the truck is small after all).

Stewie stuck and we are still using it today.

66.jpg

79.jpg

• Premium Member
The F-Jay doesn't name an individuals bike, but the whole kit and caboodle. I don't name my bikes or cars, but do name my GPS. Mine is Hilda. Shut up Hilda, I know I missed that turn Hilda. I don't care that you are recalculating Hilda.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 month later...
Had a suggestion for the name of my grey FJ...
Selina, as in Selina Kyle....the civilian name for CATWOMAN!
I like it. Dark, mysterious, sleek and sexy.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
No, don't name bikes or other things. They are things.

Whilst we are at it. What's with this ascribing a bike or other thing a female gender? I don't get it.

Maybe it's just a gay thing. "I want to buff him up." Or, "I'm going to ride Jorge," might get a laugh though.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Had a suggestion for the name of my grey FJ... Selina, as in Selina Kyle....the civilian name for CATWOMAN!
I like it. Dark, mysterious, sleek and sexy.
And maybe just a little bit dangerous. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Girls tend to name their stuff. I don't know too many guys that do.
I know a lot of guys that do. 
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  It depends on whether or not the vehicle speaks to me.  Some vehicles have distinct personalities, while others are just bland.

My first car was The Teal Mobile, you can probably guess why.  My second is just "the Z" (Z3).  None of our other cars had any kind of name ("The Passat", "The Mazda").

My first bike, a Suzuki Intruder 800, had so little character that it never had a name.  I didn't know what I wanted when I bought that bike, but I knew within 6 weeks that it wasn't the bike for me -- I'd only had my license for a little over 2 months and I was already scraping pegs on the way to work.

My second, an SV650S, took a long time to tell me her name: It was Veronica, because I can call her anything I want but her name is Veronica.

The Kawasaki Vulcan also never really had a name, although if I'd owned it longer it might have become The Barcalounger given the way-feet-forward riding position.

The Daytona 675 told me her name on the test ride, Tabitha, the precocious witch.  She had to have put a spell on me to buy a bike so unsuited to the riding I like to do. :-)

And I haven't even ridden the FJ yet and I know her name: Mary-Kate, after Mary-Kate Danaher, a very feisty redhead.  She was almost Scarlett, but that reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara, who wasn't a redhead and I hated that movie besides.

I think Mary-Kate is very well named.  She's been trouble since the day I walked in to (try to) buy her, and I expect there to be quite a bit of excitement once the courting is complete....

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I name all of my bikes. Fiona FJR. Virgil Versys. Fishnet FZ1. Golan the insatiable FJ-09.....google the image and tell me it fits

Motorcycles have personalities discovered while riding them, if you don't have or do not you probably won't be naming yours.

Archived