Rotella T6 still safe?

For 9.00 you can get the best spin on oil filter at this time.

Purolator BOSS.

Synthetic depth media, silicone anti drain back valve, thicker canister and base plate, metal caps, and springs.

Only better option is Canton full flow depth filter with replaceable canister type depth cartridge in a aluminum alloy spin on adapter that mimics a spin on filter in size and function. (But has no bypass, and filters all the oil, all the time down the 8 microns or better, while the OEM yamaha filter might stop stuff 20 microns or larger? Who knows, it's paper with holes v/s synthtic depth media that is by nature, designed to flow more, and catch smaller stuff.)

Wear is caused by particles 10 microns or larger. (Mostly agreed on figure, some say 8, but some also say 20 is fine....)

Human hair is way bigger than this BTW. ;)

Thats nuts, I'm lucky if I can even remember when I did my last oil change
I'm lucky if I can remember what I ate for breakfast... 
I had a pretty poor maintenance history with my previous bike... 
Only got washed when I rode in the rain. 
Only maintain something if it broke/fell off/stopped working.
Chain got lube when it was noisy/rusty.
It also burned oil pretty heavily so I would just add more oil and call it good.  Oil filter only changed spring & fall...

The FJ-09 is too nice and too new to do that.  I'll have to actually maintain and wash this bike.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

• Premium Member
I'm not even 80% confident Yamaha will honor their Yamalube warranty and not try to find some excuse but they also require changing the filter at every oil change.

Can you say caching like cash register?

• Premium Member
Gotta admit I used Rotella for my first oil change and the clutch worked but seemed more abrupt and clunky. Not so much that I thought I had a problem (after all I heard was that Rotella was the be-all-end-all of oil) but noticeable. I went to my mechanic to upgrade the suspension and told him to give the bike a going over, but no need to change oil as I had just done it. His tech fortunately doesn't read work orders very well and changed the oil. The clutch was noticeably better and smoother. I am going to have to pass on Rotella, something is not right.

Gotta admit I used Rotella for my first oil change and the clutch worked but seemed more abrupt and clunky. Not so much that I thought I had a problem (after all I heard was that Rotella was the be-all-end-all of oil) but noticeable. I went to my mechanic to upgrade the suspension and told him to give the bike a going over, but no need to change oil as I had just done it. His tech fortunately doesn't read work orders very well and changed the oil. The clutch was noticeably better and smoother. I am going to have to pass on Rotella, something is not right.
Do you know what oil they put in it? 
Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

Archived