• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Pesky plastic pannier painting problems..

so... you have a gray tank with blue fairings? haven't seen that before.

panniers look good!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so... you have a gray tank with blue fairings? haven't seen that before. 
panniers look good!
Yes - tank and hand-guards are so-called Gunmetal (to my eye lacking that blue-ish tinge of a true gunmetal, but it's a nice enough colour in its own right): front fairings and rear panels under the seat are very dark blue.   Looks good!   The Gunmetal does seem to change colour greatly, depending on the light, either outside or in... which means that the inexact match on the panniers doesn't matter!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The job proceeds, with the silver PVC pinstripe-tape adding a bit of of distinction and hiding the not-quite-perfect painted edges.   Very easily applied.
Next - reflector into the rear recess, some decals (just awaiting their arrival), and a Yamaha badge...

I must say that I'm very pleased with the colour and finish of the painted lids...

P1030794.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The job proceeds, with the silver PVC pinstripe-tape adding a bit of of distinction and hiding the not-quite-perfect painted edges.   Very easily applied. Next - reflector into the rear recess, some decals (just awaiting their arrival), and a Yamaha badge...

I must say that I'm very pleased with the colour and finish of the painted lids...

P1030794.jpg

...now, that looks great!! Careful with the decals... you could ruin the clean look :P .
I'm thinking of some tasteful swastikas, bright orange lightning flashes, a dozen or so bullet-holes, plus a semi-naked reclining woman a la the warplanes of the 1940s and '50s. 

...now, that looks great!! Careful with the decals... you could ruin the clean look :P .
I'm thinking of some tasteful swastikas, bright orange lightning flashes, a dozen or so bullet-holes, plus a semi-naked reclining woman a la the warplanes of the 1940s and '50s. 
Both panniers pinstriped and reflective tape applied.   C'mon those decals... 

P1030800.jpg

Below - ho hum indeed!
P1030801.jpg

THE FINISHED JOB

The ‘MT-09 Tracer’ decals arrived this morning only a very few  days after ordering, and here are the completed panniers on the bike.

I’m quietly pleased with the result, although in truth it has all been a bit of ‘doing it for the sake of doing it’, as the panniers will be used only for a total of about 20 – 30 days a year, as most of my riding nowadays is short day-rides or weekends away where my top-box suffices.

These decals are from a Melbourne (Victoria) business called letterstickers. letterstickers.com.au.   Ordering could not be easier – you can choose from over 100 fonts (typefaces), italic or not; many different colours – including the chrome seen here, or reflective, etc.; and in numerous sizes.

As you go, simply typing the words required, the site sets out the lettering so you can see the finished effect, and the price is also shown – no waiting for quotes or whatever. And very quick postage-free service too: I have used letterstickers before and hope to do so again. Usual disclaimer…
______________________________________________________________________________________________

LETTER STICKERS
Letter Stickers, PO Box 1308, Hoppers Crossing, VIC 3029
Tel: 1300 966 378
Email: enquiries@letterstickers.com.au
Web: www.letterstickers.com.au | www.printsignonline.com.au
______________________________________________________________________________________________

The newly-painted panniers, pin-striping, and badge and decals certainly do give a strong visual ‘lift’ to the rear of the bike, which is all I wanted, so I’m pretty pleased!   In this indoor light (better in the flesh than in my pic below) the colour-match and glossiness between tank and panniers is excellent.  The Yamaha badge is identical (tho' smaller) to the one at the front of the bike, being a 3D-effect, two or three mm thick.

Only one farkle now remains, and perhaps the most important of all - the arrival of the Seat Concepts Touring perch kit.

P1030802.jpg

P1030805.jpg

The paint and striping look great!

I hate to say it, but I think they would look better without the "MT-09 Tracer" stickers. The Yamaha tuning forks logo looks good... though all that matters is whether you like it.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The paint and striping look great! 
I hate to say it, but I think they would look better without the "MT-09 Tracer" stickers. The Yamaha tuning forks logo looks good... though all that matters is whether you like it.
I have to say that I kinda sorta possibly half-agree with you - maybe the lettering could look a little less in-yer-face if it was a fraction smaller in height.   But overall I remain pleased with the effect, and it looks far less OTT when viewed on the bike as a whole - see pic. 
I had initially thought I might buy a pair of the OE raised decals that adorn the lower front panels, but they retail for well over AUD$100 a pair: it's not that I can't afford them but I don't want to afford them...!

At the very least it will avoid people (very rarely!) asking me what bike it is!P1030807.jpg

I agree with duhs10, perfect job until the Tracer lettering wordsmith, but your call obviously.

I find I always scuff the top of paniers with my boot as I get off the bike, so have parallel rubber lines near the handles. I don't mind as mine are unpainted, but you may want to be extra careful dismounting.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I agree with duhs10, perfect job until the Tracer lettering wordsmith, but your call obviously. 
I find I always scuff the top of paniers with my boot as I get off the bike, so have parallel rubber lines near the handles. I don't mind as mine are unpainted, but you may want to be extra careful dismounting.
I'm feeling beaten-up over this!   Maybe if I'd left off the 'MT-09' part of the decal it would have pleased more people here!   YMMV and all that. 
I too have always scuffed the top of any rhs pannier fitted, to any bike, which is why I had the painted/ pinstriped upper line well below scuffing territory!
And - as I say - the panniers will only infrequently be fitted, so it's not as if they'll be bombarded by my boot twice or more daily if commuting...

:D
Try this for size! P1030755.jpg

Okay, that's just perverted!  My LIVING ROOM isn't that clean.   :D
 This IS my living room!

Archived