Met another...uh..."experienced" rider yesterday

Went for a random ride yesterday and stopped at a BBQ place I wanted to try out (it sucked...).  While I was there, a BMW adventure bike of some sort (didn't get the model) all kitted out for some serious traveling pulled in.

As one might expect, the rider pulled in next to the only other bike there, picked up his order and sat across from me at the picnic table.

We chatted for a half hour or so while we gummed our sammiches.  Didn't ask his age, but judging from appearances and making some estimates based on his life experience (retired military, 32 years total service) I'd put him at a year or two either side of 70.

The tag on his bike was Washington.  State, not district.  About as far away from Maine as you can get and still be in the Lower 48.  Left there June 9th and has been touring since, most recently the Canadian Maritimes.

Holy Iron Butt, Batman!  Gives me hope, tho I don't see myself EVER undertaking a trip like that.  He did say that the cruise control on the Beemer was a major blessing.

I like meeting real riders , kinda inspiring hearing about long adventures. He is right about cruise control, I have the Kaoko throttle lock on my FJ, it's great just to rest my hand while riding long distances . I see you're from Maine a few years ago we rode to Conway NH , we did a day ride into Maine. Man there was no one around, we even went into a little town, we were like "where is everybody" . I was guessing alot of people head towards the coast in the summer ?

I like meeting real riders , kinda inspiring hearing about long adventures. He is right about cruise control, I have the Kaoko throttle lock on my FJ, it's great just to rest my hand while riding long distances . I see you're from Maine a few years ago we rode to Conway NH , we did a day ride into Maine. Man there was no one around, we even went into a little town, we were like "where is everybody" . I was guessing alot of people head towards the coast in the summer ?
Naw, we leave the coast to the touristers in the Summer  :) 
More likely they were working.  Lot of folks live in little villages and drive serious miles to find work.

Paul what's your favorite ride in Maine ? I was talking to a riding partner about a trip up north. I have been to the mountains in Maine, I was wondering if you a had a route from say the mountains to the coast that you have enjoyed.

Paul what's your favorite ride in Maine ? I was talking to a riding partner about a trip up north. I have been to the mountains in Maine, I was wondering if you a had a route from say the mountains to the coast that you have enjoyed.
I ride mostly locally, but I've driven Route 2 from Bangor to St. Johnsbury VT.  Pretty ride. 
Route 9 is pretty from Bangor to Calais.

You get past Bar Harbor, there are several local rides that I like.

If you give me some definite destinations I can puzzle out a likely interesting route.

DO avoid Coastal Route One.  Wall to wall traffic through every pissant town in the state, crammed with tourists.

Yea we were just talking about a trip, nothing planned. They were talking about hitting our regular rides , either the back roads of PA or VT, NH rides. We did have a trip planned for out west but 2 guys got medical problems that need attention . Then I was thinking Nova Scotia or Maine , if we do make plans and know where we are going I will give you a shout out to picks your brains... Thanks Joe

• 1 month later...
A lot of good roads in southern/northern VT. Like Maine, there are some you want to avoid, like most of them in the fall, due to tourists. And anything near Lake Champlain in the summer. Some of the roads in the "Northeast Kingdon" are good ( including some into/out of St. Johnsbury ) and they are pretty empty.

Archived