internal fork swaps..

mak595

• Supporting Member
I would think if you were going to do that you would need to get the valving correct first.  Right now one leg is doing everything, if you double that wouldn't you need to halve the resistance in the valving?
Forum vendor Pattonme would be the one to ask in order to knowledgeably give you the correct details on suspension.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Only reason I'm asking is that a bought my bike with cosmetic damage and the right hand leg badly scuffed at the bottom. The right leg has been replaced and the bike rides OK. The left hand fork top has a bit of light cosmetic damage so I'm looking at replacing it. I've still got the old right fork so wondering if I can salvage the internals and fork top

I want to replace the springs with Ktech .9 linear springs with 2.5wt oil while the forks are apart...

...I want to replace the springs with Ktech .9 linear springs with 2.5wt oil while the forks are apart...
Pay attention to cSt@40C figures rather than 'wt' when looking at oil viscosity. On this chart, I picked 2.5wt Rock Shocks (10.8cSt@40), which worked very well for me. You'll see there are other '2.5wt' oils with much different cSt@40C figures (stock oil is ~16). Something our good friend Matt (@pattonme ) had flagged a while back. Whether it makes sense to run rebound damping in both legs... Matt can advise... i.e. whether 'valving'/damping rates are cumulative or not.
Thanks, i read your thread about your fork fettling  ;) Looking at the chart, am i right in thinking that lower is better ie the Bell ray at 9.2cSt@40 ?
Had a look at the rockshox oil, its marketed in the uk as mountain bike fork oil, i assume the 2.5wt is the same as you got?
Finally, is 1ltr enough for both legs?

Thanks

~200lb rider, get 0.9kg/mm (8.8N/mm) fork springs. Yes you can run both cartridges from a RIGHT leg but you'll need to adjust the valving. You're doubling up on all forces which is going to be way off.

If you want to pay K-Tech's pricing for springs, go ahead (I should be able to pass on a discount). Or you could buy Sonic for $70/pair+ship from myself, or see what Stoltec's pricing is on his website.

I have a selection of right and left fork caps available in "woodchipper" condition all the way to "looks new". You can use the old Right cap on the Left leg once you remove the adjuster bits, but only the preload will work, obviously.

I have a customer in IL planning for me to do a 2xRight leg setup for him so if you want to join in on the fun, I can accommodate.

~200lb rider, get 0.9kg/mm (8.8N/mm) fork springs. Yes you can run both cartridges from a RIGHT leg but you'll need to adjust the valving. You're doubling up on all forces which is going to be way off. 
If you want to pay K-Tech's pricing for springs, go ahead (I should be able to pass on a discount). Or you could buy Sonic for $70/pair+ship from myself, or see what Stoltec's pricing is on his website.

I have a selection of right and left fork caps available in "woodchipper" condition all the way to "looks new". You can use the old Right cap on the Left leg once you remove the adjuster bits, but only the preload will work, obviously.

I have a customer in IL planning for me to do a 2xRight leg setup for him so if you want to join in on the fun, I can accommodate.
Thanks Matt, I'm in the uk so postage is gonna be a killer, the shop where I bought my damaged tracer (fj) have just got another bike for breaking so I'm getting a standard left hand top for free.

Just going for a similar set up to piotrek with .9 springs, rockshok 2.5wt oil with a 160mm airgap for the minute. With ktech being uk based I can get a set of springs for £85

Zx6/10 Rear shocks are generally more expensive over here but I have found a 08 zx6 shock that was swapped on a track bike so its got very low miles for £70 posted, good result for uk prices, think I'm gotta put the fj spring as a compromise in spring rates, then take it from there...

Thanks again matt for your advice

• Premium Member
Im 204 without gear on
When I purchased my springs, Nick at Stoltec had asked me about my weight with the gear on (use cold weather gear number) and other non-stock weight up front, like aftermarket screen, lamps, tank bag, crash bars etc. I am just ~196lbs in my birthday suit. With the gear on, looking at ~210lbs... add non-rider load up front and it can add up quickly.
What # springs did you go with?  I'm at 230 "neked" and Matt says .90 or maximum .95.  I run .90 on my VTR which weighs just a bit less than the FJ-09 but I'm still leaning toward the .95 due to the Shad hard side cases and top box I can run, plus a dry bag behind me and a small tank bag. 
However, I very much intend to drop to at least 215 this year and hopefully lower!  ( 8-) Yeh, the all say that)

Well, that's my ktech .9nm springs ordered, should be here tomorrow and I've been down to the breakers and got my new fork top to replace my slightly damaged one.  Think my rockshox oil has turned up as well but I was out so it's at the post office...

The guy I'm buying the (almost) new 2008 zx6r shock is back from his hols next week so hopefully that will be winging its way to me soon 

Archived