loose connection with handlebar riser!

chuthugad

Hello,

I have been having issues with the handlebar being twisted out of alignment. It doesn't take much to turn it and it worries me. I have tried tightening the bolts that secure it to the triple tree but they don't seem to get any tighter.  I've told the dealership about it and they say "we just slowly force it back in place if it gets misaligned." That is not a good enough answer for me and I want a permanent fix. I did a wheelie the other day and when I came down the bar twisted a little bit. Anyone else have this problem? 

• Supporting Member
It sounds like what the dealership and what you are experiencing are 2 different things. The nuts on the bottom the upper triple clamp have nothing to do with bar alignment, they merely hold the bar riser on. You can however get the upper and lower triple clamp slightly out of alignment if the top clamp nut is too loose.

When you say that the bar twists when you land a wheelie, what exactly is twisting? the bar moving in the bar clamps front to back? or the upper and lower triple clamp side to side?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I did take the bike in for the paint job recall but that didn't seem to affect my problem. The handlebar itself does not move or shift within the clamps, it is the handlebar and the clamps that get rotated out of alignment. I will try tightening every bolt I can find on there lol.  

The nuts on the bottom the upper triple clamp have nothing to do with bar alignment, they merely hold the bar riser on. 
I am not sure what you mean by this, but if the nuts on the studs that go from the riser through the upper triple clamp get loose, the risers and bars will twist out of alignment quite a bit. 
There is a specific procedure to torque down everything in the front end, any part can get loose and get out of alignment.  Generally, loosen the suspect bolts, slightly tighten, push parts into alignment, tighten completely.  This is a very simple procedure for any competent mechanic.  Tightening parts that are already out of alignment will only keep things miss-aligned.

• Supporting Member
If the nuts that hold the risers to the top clamp are a little loose the risers will wiggle, but the bars won't twist out of alignment.
Maybe our definition of "twisted out of alignment" varies.

If the nuts that hold the risers to the top clamp are a little loose the risers will wiggle, but the bars won't twist out of alignment. Maybe our definition of "twisted out of alignment" varies.

Sorry mate have to strongly disagree with you there, if they are the slightest bit loose the bars will twist within the clamps and give a twisted feeling. Happens all the time when you drop a dirt bike with rubber mounted risers as the fi/mt-09 has. I would loosen all the riser and top clamps bolts then start to tighten them up and align as you go. But if you haven't had the riser recall or re loctited the riser studs do that first. As said above it is a piece of piss procedure that even a well trained monkey can perform. You'll be fine!

• Supporting Member
vduboy, are you sure the FJ has rubber mounted risers? I haven't taken them off but i'm pretty sure they are mounted right to the triple clamp.
Correct, they are directly mounted to the top clamp, no rubber mounts.   

Archived