Major service cost at dealer

I stopped by my local dealer today to check and see how much the 26,000 mile service would cost me. I was a little surprised at the price he quoted me. Some of the basic stuff that is included in the service I told him to ignore since I can do things like an oil change and air filter myself. For the more technical things like the valve adjustment and throttlebody sync, along with coolant replacement and steering head bearings repacking/tightening I was quoted $850. Their shop labor rate on the sign says $89 an hour. Am I nuts, or does this seem a little bit high? I didn't think I owned a Ducati.

Maybe a little high. Probably 3-4 hours for the valves $267-356. Hour for the steering head $89, 2 hours for the throttle bodies $178, half hour for the coolant 45.

Add that up: $579 - $668.

Plus taxes, coolant, and bullshit. Not totally unreasonable, but definitely a stretch. Is the valve job an adjustment or a check?

'15 FJ09

Don't know if the valves need adjusting till they checked I guess. I guess I'm just too cheap. That's half the reason I bought this bike. I think there's a reputable independent shop here that I'll call Monday. See what they say.

Don't know if the valves need adjusting till they checked I guess. I guess I'm just too cheap. That's half the reason I bought this bike. I think there's a reputable independent shop here that I'll call Monday. See what they say.
Wondering if you spoke to the Independent shop, and what they said? 
Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

I did speak with the independent shop. He was honest enough to admit it was over his head and that I should go to the dealer. I think what I'll do is have the dealer do just the valve check/adjustment, and do the rest myself. Take some of the money I save a buy the gauge for syncing the throttle bodies and the shop manual.

Archived