BAGSTER custom seat just ordered..

I have just ordered the new seat.   A good deal of recent chit-chat about this French brand can be found on the Thread I started about my LUIMOTO Gel seat conversion, but it seems cleaner to start a distinct BAGSTER Thread.

Most European countries and businesses therein shut-down for summer holidays in August, and in France BAGSTER is no different: the Australian importer/ distributor CARLISLE TYRES AND ACCESSORIES say they (BAGSTER) will be back at the salt-mine on August 21st.

Dealing direct with the Australian distributor has saved me good deal, and despite the tricky nature of the BAGSTER website I have been able to order precisely the same item that I had back in May 2016, at the same price.   ETA here will be mid-September, probably no sooner.

Meantime the gel-added OE seat will suffice for my weekend rides.   I am already thinking about reinstating my planned-then-cancelled ~5000km/ 13-day trip north to early October, and it would be pleasant to have my 78th birthday 'on the road' in the tropics.   Even nicer if I can get Mrs Wordsmith to fly up there for a few days R&R together.  

Early October is about as late as I'd want to leave it as the monsoonal wet-season starts about then, bringing extreme humidity and and increasing periods of torrential rain - but at least it's warm rain!   And I think I'd be prepared to chance things and wear my lightweight mesh summer jacket, which would make things very comfortable.   But I won't make any firm plans or bookings until the new seat arrives and has been tested! :)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for keeping this topic organized in its own thread. I will be watching this with interest.
Thanks, betoney.   It probably sounds a strange thing to say, given that I'll be sitting on the thing, but I already feel a great weight lifting from my shoulders at the prospect of getting the seating right!   The wait until mid-Sept is tolerable (I can't see it arriving any earlier) and will be well worthwhile if the new BAGSTER seat performs as did the one I had previously. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
You cant put a price on comfort, if you can get the seating corrected then you can focus more on enjoying the ride.
As it stands, after all of the modding I have done to my bike, the seat is now the one thing that still isn't right for me. I have tried padded shorts, bead-rider seat cover, Seat Concepts standard foam and now their Sport Touring foam and while it is better, I still eventually spend my rides fidgeting and standing, constantly distracted from the ride due to discomfort.
I hope that the Bagster seat performs as your previous one did, if so, it might be the solution I am seeking.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

... I still eventually spend my rides fidgeting and standing, constantly distracted from the ride due to discomfort.  
The 'distraction' thing is almost as equally important as comfort, IMHO - a motorbike rider cannot afford distractions of any kind at any time, so this will be another positive for me.

• Supporting Member
You cant put a price on comfort....
...so why not just go to a custom saddlery shop where they can set you up with the ultimate... just-for-you seat?
That has definitely crossed my mind.  I thought for sure that the sport-touring foam would be the final dollar put into seating comfort, I have only had it a little over a week, maybe 800 miles on it.  Does foam need a break in?  I will ride it out through the fall and wait for the verdict on the Bagster seat, if things haven't improved then a Bagster or custom saddle are in order.  I am already over $400 into this seat so far and dont want to keep throwing money at it.

@wordsmith , woul you care to share exact configuration of the seat you ordered, and maybe the price in AUD... guessing you got just the front? 
I'll have to find a rep somewhere here in Canada... did not see my land on the reseller list. Might have to go through a UK source.
I have ordered the model #5355Z, with premium Bultex foam.   Numerous no-cost options such as type and colour of cover, colour of stitching, embroidery, choice of colour on the different elements of the seat, etc., come with this model.   Check the 'configerateur'  function on the website: only a wild guess but could that mean 'configerator'?  
Cost to me delivered is AUD$549, same as before.   I'm purchasing through the Oz importer/ distributor (again as before).   He told me that if buying through a motorcycle accessories dealership it would be closer to $699.   Frankly, that would have been far too much for me and I'd have reverted to the SC Touring seat and forgotten all about future long multi-day interstate trips until the next bike comes along.

I have both front and pillion seats on order - one without the other would look very odd, IMHO, and anyway I'm uncertain if only the front can be bought.   I never, ever, carry a pillion.   Both seats, as on the OE set-up, come on their own new (in this case BAGSTER-design) seat-pans, which simply slip straight onto the bike.

As far as supply is concerned, the very late Wessie here bought his from a French retailer called Silverstone, who he recommended IIRC, but I'd try a direct contact with BAGSTER first to see if they can supply you direct.   I cannot see why they would not if there's no Canadian agent, and if there is they can tell you.  

Direct supply to you from BAGSTER or any other European source would probably see the EU 20% VAT (sales tax) voided, which would go a long way towards paying for shipping!

Remember, BAGSTER is probably off-line until August 21st.

Thank you sir. I have been circling the Silverstone site for a bit... they do offer the Bultex option... all under EU300 + shipping. Fingers twitchy...I tried Silverstone for my last (2016) order, but they would not/ were not allowed to, supply me given that we have an official BAGSTER importer here.   Bugger!   Will be interested in your own all-up quote including shipping once your twitchy fingers have done the deed!

I tried Silverstone for my last (2016) order, but they would not/ were not allowed to, supply me given that we have an official BAGSTER importer here.   Bugger!   Will be interested in your own all-up quote including shipping once your twitchy fingers have done the deed!
...challenge accepted!... I think.
Piotrek - your 300 Euros is almost exactly AUD$100 less than my delivered cost, so it will be very interesting to see what your final outlay is after shipping. 
I've spent/ wasted - call it what you will - about AUD$450 on the imperfect SC Touring Seat and then the less-than-satisfactory LUIMOTO Gold Gel insert. 
That would have gone a long way towards the BAGSTER cost!   Still - one lives and learns, and I'm sure that either or both those options that didn't work for me would work for others.

If they seem to be stiffing you in any Piotrek, and it looks like there is an advantage to me buying it in the UK and shipping to you just let me know.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

The luxe seat (front and rear) with Bultex will run me EU320... delivered, from Silverstone (it's on sale now). That's CAD$480 (Sargent + some change). Not bad for the set then. I have not been able to get anywhere with Bagster yet. That last scathing report on the seat put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm... or was that just a peculiar one-of. I can tolerate the not-waterproof part (the foam is), but kinda sounded like the thing just failed altogether. Hmm...  8-| .
I hope you get yours before mine arrives, and that you'll post an appraisal when it's on and has been tried.   Your CAD$480 is not a million miles away from my cost of AUD$540 delivered, a good part of which is probably an exorbitant shipping cost from la Belle to Oz.  
I should currently be riding on day #2 of my trip north, and the weather couldn't be nicer for such a trip - mid to high 20's C (= mid to high 70s F).   Never mind - October will soon be here (as I hope will the seat!).   Enjoy yours, I'm sure it will satisfy.

• Premium Member
@piotrek, where is this "scathing report" you speak of?

I've had a few emails with Bagster but the last one said they're closed until Aug 21st for summer holidays (nb: those Europeans could teach us North Americans a thing or two about lifestyle...). Still considering this option so keep me posted on which way you're leaning.

Think they'd do a deal if we picked up two at the same time?

@wordsmith , woul you care to share exact configuration of the seat you ordered, and maybe the price in AUD... guessing you got just the front? 
I'll have to find a rep somewhere here in Canada... did not see my land on the reseller list. Might have to go through a UK source.
Piotrek - did I reply to this?

They note a 15 day lead time, plus shipping time I'm guessing. I'm figuring a good month and change before it's through Customs and in my hands.
Same here - I doubt I'll see it until mid-September at the earliest.   But it will be worth the wait!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
You cant put a price on comfort....
...so why not just go to a custom saddlery shop where they can set you up with the ultimate... just-for-you seat? 
I finally did that today, I went to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston Wa.   
A few minutes after I pulled up for my appointment, they promptly removed the seat cover and foam from the pan to see what they are starting with.  In my case I started with the Seat Concepts Sport-Touring foam and gripper cover.
Rich starts by installing the seat pan and foam back on the bike and has you sit in your natural position, he then uses his sharpie and marks the foam for cut lines and shaping.  It should be mentioned that he approaches this from a medical/anatomical approach, he looks at your seating position fore and aft on the seat, the angle of your hips, thighs and pelvis, reach to the bars, angle of back bend etc. and shapes the seat accordingly.
After the first shaping, he has you go out for a test ride and feel for tight spots or anything you feel uncomfortable, and he pulls the seat back off and again, shapes it to your input, and repeats this until you tell him it feels correct.
He then discusses covers, materials, colors, fabrics, patterns etc. and begins custom building a cover for YOUR custom shaped seat.  Since I already had the Seat Concepts gripper/carbon cover on the passenger seat, I decided to have everything match.  He had the exact same fabric and looking at them side by side, if I didn't watch them make it, I would swear it was the original Seat Concepts cover, they matched it exactly!

Seat_1.jpgSeat_2.jpg

I just had a short ride home, and its the beginning of the holiday rush hour so I wanted to get home, but it felt better than the ride into the shop this morning, it cradled my butt better.  He recommended breaking it in for at least 500 miles, I have a week long trip to California planned next week so it should be well broken in when I return.   Their policy is, if you dont like it, or if something feels odd, bring it back and they will fix it!

Archived