BAGSTER custom seat just ordered..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lookin good, I gotta say in "looks" and design they seem very similar to my Top Sellerie I got and love. Cant wait to read your review on yours!
It will likely be some time before I can get out and give the new seat a proper ~400 - ~500km evaluation.   Eastern Oz is currently in the grip of a massive, serious, deadly, 'flu outbreak and I have succumbed, along with Mrs Wordsmith.   A couple of hundred deaths from it are confirmed, along with many others suspected, it seems.    
The Grim Reaper has taken nine elderly folks from one nursing home, young babies, and seemingly healthy adults in the prime of their lives - there seems no discrimination.  We had our annual anti-'flu injections in May, but it seems the virus then mutated so that the protection given was greatly reduced. 

After a week of this I have lost about 4kg in weight (not such a bad thing though!), and am so weak I couldn't even sit on a bike without toppling-off, let alone ride one!

We have both been very unwell, to the extent that we were forced into putting our beloved Shetland Sheepdog Honey into a boarding-kennel for the duration (he's still there) as we simply couldn't give him the usual attention and tlc while so ill.   And believe me - that hurts!   

My long-planned and much-deferred road trip to Far North Queensland is likewise now on the back-burner, and given that the monsoon season up there is not too far away now it's likely that trip will be cancelled unless I could get away by mid-October at the very latest.   I wouldn't even contemplate starting out until I'm 100%+ right.   Bummer!   

But Cooktown will still be there in early 2018 (tropical cyclones permitting).

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Oh Wordsmith this is not the response I was expecting to hear and to send poor Honey out for care.......I feel the sadness in your heart at that one.

Well, as you say Cooktown will still be there and best to enjoy it in 100% health.

Big hugs to help you get better soon.
Stay rugged up!

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

AT LONG LAST - THE VERDICT!   WARNING! Explicit scenes ahead! Those with a weak heart should not proceed.

It was love at first sit!    The exquisite custom-made BAGSTER Luxe seat with premium Bultex foam softly caressed my thighs and gently embraced my cheeks when I first – tentatively – sat on it.

According to the BAGSTER people Bultex is an ultra-premium French upholstery foam used in upmarket bedding.   We all know how the French love their horizontal can-can dancing, so it can be safely assumed that this product has been extensively tested au boudoir.
Also by me: my previous Tracer was also fitted with a BAGSTER seat identical to this new one, and early-on I put in two consecutive 540km days on it, in total comfort and with no sign whatsoever of the seat needing any breaking-in.   So today’s very belated ~460km circuit was as much as anything to dispel any nagging thoughts lurking that maybe this new seat wouldn’t be quite the game-changer that I’d found from that last BAGSTER seat, of fond memories.

Wrong!   This seat is not just a game-changer, it has totally transformed the bike for me.   It not only looks good – which is one thing – but it also performs great, which is much more important.

Put another way – as I’ve said before, my bum thinks it has died and gone to heaven!   The only seat that’s better is my favourite armchair in front of the telly at home, always enhanced by Mrs Wordsmith’s TLC as she plies me with hot buttered toast and strong tea.

And I don’t want to gush, but in the unlikely event of Rolls-Royce or Porsche or Ferrari making motorcycles, this is the kind of seat they’d install.

I can now embark on my much-delayed ~4500km multi-day trip north with total confidence about on-the-road comfort – just gotta shake off the remnants of the debilitating ‘flu episode I recently suffered.   It has hit me - and Mrs Wordsmith - pretty hard; I lost a few kgs in weight, which although not a bad thing otherwise also left me feeling somewhat weak and a bit ‘wobbly’ on my feet after several enforced days of bed-rest.    I’ll need to get all that right out of the way before I take on a number of consecutive days of lengthy riding, some of which will be along indifferent and remote roads.

The BAGSTER seats – rider and pillion – come on new seat-pans, and are a perfect and immediate fit on the bike, with no side-to-side rocking as with the OE rider seat.   And being highly customisable they can look exactly as anyone may wish.   From placing my order it took 32 days to arrive at my doorstep via the Australian distributor in Sydney.

The carefully-measured seat height is unchanged from the OE perch so I can still comfortably flat-foot – I’m 177cm (5’9.5”) on a hot day, with an inseam of 32”.

Visually, the ‘rise’ at the front of the pillion seat where it adjoins the rear of the rider’s seat is somewhat taller than on the OE, ~10cm vs ~3cm, but looks perfectly in keeping.***   The pronounced forward slope of the OE pillion perch is gone and the broad, now flat surface of the BAGSTER perch looks as if a passenger would be mighty comfy there!

And the nicely-embroidered (optional) TRACER wording adds a tasteful distinguishing note and matches the style of the same feature decal at the front of the bike.

This BAGSTER seat is not, of course, a custom job in the sense of being specifically made for and tailored to my individual physical attributes (such as they are!), and it’s not cheap at AUD$549 delivered, but it’s going to be worth every cent, plus some.   It may not suit some, but it perfectly suits me, and is very, very highly recommended!

*** LATER EDIT/ ADD-ON.   To support my view that the taller front edge of the new pillion seat is 'perfectly in keeping' here's a pic of my previous Tracer with the identical BAGSTER seats.
P1020709.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I thought from your "cautioning" I was going to have to cover my eyes while reading....which would no doubt make it difficult to read your wonderously "smithy" report.

The "lurve" that you have for this seat is almost worthy of a "classification rating"  ;)

Glad you are finally happy and can get those FNQ plans back onto the burner.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the comprehensive (and effusive) report, @wordsmith.

Very glad to hear your recollection was accurate and that the Bagster still hits all the high notes.
Marginally less glad that I'll now be parting with hundreds of hard-earned dollars to follow suit, but the prospect of my own derriere dying and going to heaven is simply too enticing to ignore.

Hope you're back in the health pink soon so you can continue your platonic love affair with the new French filly (it is platonic, isn't it?...please tell me it's platonic...).

It is, alas, upshift. Mrs W keeps me on the straight and narrow at all times...

Archived