Top o' the morning to ya ☘️

Hey guys,

New member here from Dublin, Ireland.

Due to pick up my new, 2017 "Tech Black" Tracer 900/fj-09, next week from the dealer! Can't wait!!

Trading in my 2003 Fazer 1000 which I love but she's got 50,000 miles now, of which I've only done 2,000. Fantastic bike and spotlessly clean but I honestly fancy the ABS and traction control that comes on new bikes nowadays.

So my new fj-09 will come with OEM heated grips and I've ordered the cheap but apparently effective shorty screen from fleabay. All credit for that purchase goes to this forum.

I'm possibly going to change out the stock rubber for PR4's at the added expense of €100, would it be worth it? We get so much rain here in Ireland and I know the Michelans have a great rep for wet performance.

I'm also going to purchase the Puig Touring visor after seeing it mentioned here a few times with good reviews. I'm just a shade under 6ft so hoping it will work well for me.

I definitely want to get an exhaust. It's a pity we don't have the full choice of exhausts available to fz-09 riders...(I want to keep the centre stand for tight parking conditions at work)

I have until the 600mile service to order any additional parts and have them fitted for free by the dealer.

Anyway I'll get back to trawling through this forum for more valuable information till I pick up my new bike!!

Laters,
Maximus

Thanks guys,

So Martyl, would you recommend paying an extra €100/$125 to swap them out immediately or would you keep that cash to buy some other farkles?

Forgot to say I have a Givi v47 top box and plate from the Fazer so just need new mounting brackets. I think that top box goes very well with the colour scheme of the FJ. And I also have a Givi tank bag and adapter to take with me also :)

Guest kernowjim
Hello and welcome!  I also have a 2017 Tech Black Tracer and I'm nearly up to the first 600 miles (I'm in Cornwall - just across the water).  I have kept the Dunlop D222's on my Tracer and I have found them to be pretty good, no problems with grip in the dry - I've avoided the rain so far.  I did have Michelin PR4's on my last bike, a Triumph Explorer and they are really excellent tyres and if you intend to ride in the rain then I would say that at 100 Euro they would be worth the upgrade.  Incidentally, which low screen did you get?  I'm thinking of ditching my OE screen for something a bit sportier.

Cheers
Jim

Hi Maximus, welcome to the board

I thought the original tyres were terrible. They didn't last well (had to replace the rear after about 3500 miles) and they were terrible in the cold and wet (up here in Scotland).

I've used PR4's before (on my Thundercat) and they were very good. I've used both Pirelli Angel GT's and Metzeler Roadtec 01's and both have been really good. The Angel GTs have worn better though so I've just put a fresh pair of those on. If it's a choice between the OEM Dunlop's or PR4's for 100 Euro, I'd opt for the PR4's personally.

Good luck though, have fun! :)

Hey Jim,

Congrats on your recent purchase too. How are you getting on with it?
Thanks for the reply re tyres, after further thought I might actually stick with the D222's for the moment...I'll only be commuting in light rain, I've 4 wheels for when the weather becomes too inclement, so I'll just take it easy in the wet weather.

Have you done anything to your new bike yet, added any extras or more importantly, felt the need to?

Here is a link to the screen I just purchased.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Double-Bubble-Windshield-WindScreen-For-Yamaha-MT-09-MT-09-Tracer-2015-2016/361700687063?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=631015042285&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It'll be less than £20 delivered from China. From reviews on here it seems more than decent for the money. I believe the holes don't line up 100% with OEM but can be "made" fit but we have to be careful with the original weak plastic screws...

Hello and welcome!  I also have a 2017 Tech Black Tracer and I'm nearly up to the first 600 miles (I'm in Cornwall - just across the water).  I have kept the Dunlop D222's on my Tracer and I have found them to be pretty good, no problems with grip in the dry - I've avoided the rain so far.  I did have Michelin PR4's on my last bike, a Triumph Explorer and they are really excellent tyres and if you intend to ride in the rain then I would say that at 100 Euro they would be worth the upgrade.  Incidentally, which low screen did you get?  I'm thinking of ditching my OE screen for something a bit sportier. 
Cheers
Jim
Greetings from sunny Australia, kernowjim!   We used to live in St Erth, near Hayle, not far from Pz, many years ago.   I recall, apropos your avatar, that every shop in every town and tiny village that sold Cornish Pasties - which was every one! - claimed that theirs were the best and/ or made to the original recipe and/ or both!   Happy days!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Here is a link to the screen I just purchased.  
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Double-Bubble-Windshield-WindScreen-For-Yamaha-MT-09-MT-09-Tracer-2015-2016/361700687063?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=631015042285&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I believe the holes don't line up 100% with OEM but can be "made" fit but we have to be careful with the original weak plastic screws...

I thought this screen might be a good buy at the price, as I don't need anything too large.   The OE is fine for me but I liked the sportier look of this - but they do not ship to Australia! 
A word to the wise if I may: drilling holes in plastics can be tricky and can often result in cracks in the material being drilled.   I have a set of three 'step-drills' (might be called something different elsewhere) that are made to drill plastics and other brittle material.   They seem to gently 'shave' the material rather than cut into it, and I have never had an issue with cracks, etc.  Use of a drill-press for steady, even pressure is also recommended when drilling plastics.

The step-drill set cost me only about $9 from the usual mass hardware outlet here.

P1030941.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Guest kernowjim
Ah yes and it's still like that now, every other town's bakery is better than the next one!  Hope you're enjoying the great Aussie weather!

I have run the stock tires through very very heavy downpours and been impressed. I'm talking being caught on the highway/interstate without cover and having to ride through standing water and was able to keep forward progress at the same rate as all the cars around me for many miles.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

Archived