Oil Light came on?!?!

topazsparrow

2000 km on a 2016.

Started the bike and went to leave the parking lot and noticed the oil light came on. I shut it off immediately, checked the oil level and for leaks and it seemed fine. Started it back up and the oil light stayed off the rest of the ride.

Anyone have something similar happen to them at all?

I'm assuming the oil light is like all the other Yamaha's I've owned. It measures oil level and not oil pressure. If that is the case, it's not uncommon for the oil light to come on occasionally when the oil level is low, but still within spec, or under heavy braking.

My FJ1200 used a slight amount of oil over 2000 miles. When my oil light flickered, it reminded me I was due for an oil change.

• Supporting Member
Mine has done that a few times, too. It is definitely an oil level light, and not a pressure light, so I'm not overly concerned. I've only seen it when the bike is cold, and I've started riding without letting it warm up for a couple of minutes first. I have to assume the thicker cold oil briefly sloshes away from the sensor in certain situations... unnerving, but not a problem.

...I've only seen it when the bike is cold, and I've started riding without letting it warm up for a couple of minutes first.  
Even from the 'experts' there seem to be two diametrically-opposed schools of thought on this subject, and I've seen differing opinions on many different Forums.    
Some say it's desirable to warm-up first, as described, before riding off.   Others say don't warm-up - ride off straight away but don't thrash the bike for at least several minutes after heading off with a cold engine.   The Owner's Manual (6-2) advises 'for maximum engine life never accelerate hard when the engine is cold!' - note the exclamation mark! - but that doesn't quite address the warm-up/ don't warm-up issue.

My practice is to let the engine idle while donning the final bits of gear - specs and helmet and gloves.  I've never timed it, but it seems to take less than a couple of minutes.   Then I ride off quite gently for a couple of kilometres before resuming 'normal' riding.

Is warming-up strictly necessary, or is this another hangover from older days? 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
...I've only seen it when the bike is cold, and I've started riding without letting it warm up for a couple of minutes first.  
My practice is to let the engine idle while donning the final bits of gear - specs and helmet and gloves.  I've never timed it, but it seems to take less than a couple of minutes.   Then I ride off quite gently for a couple of kilometres before resuming 'normal' riding. 

I do the exact same procedure as you do, let it run while I get my ear plugs, jacket, helmet and gloves on.  In 40+ years of riding dirt and street, I have never ridden on a cold engine, not once.  To each his own. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
@wordsmith - Threads that are guaranteed to have no conclusion: Oil, Break-in, and warm up. :)

That said, I typically do let the bike warm up at idle while I'm getting my ear plugs, helmet, gloves, et cetera situated. Not a carefully thought-out plan, but it just makes sense.

But, I do have a habit of sneaking out for very early morning rides, and my 5:00 am routine is much more brief: I get all my gear on, push the bike to the end of the driveway, thumb the starter, and just ride away slowly. I keep the revs and load low until it fully warms up, but it's rolling pretty much immediately after the engine fires. I've done this for decades, across numerous motorcycles, and I've never had a wear-related engine issue.

So, while a proper pre-ride warm up would be my preference, empirical evidence suggests it's not always necessary. As always, opinions will vary wildly on this subject...

Even from the 'experts' there seem to be two diametrically-opposed schools of thought on this subject, and I've seen differing opinions on many different Forums.    
Some say it's desirable to warm-up first, as described, before riding off.   Others say don't warm-up - ride off straight away but don't thrash the bike for at least several minutes after heading off with a cold engine.   The Owner's Manual (6-2) advises 'for maximum engine life never accelerate hard when the engine is cold!' - note the exclamation mark! - but that doesn't quite address the warm-up/ don't warm-up issue.

Necessary?  That's debatable with many opinions and little factual information.  IMO, warming up can't hurt, and for me is easy to do.  I start the bike and peddle it out of my garage backward, making sure I don't scrape my wife's car.  By the time I'm out of the garage, the bike has been running awhile, and I still have a few blocks thru the neighborhood at a posted 15 MPH.  When I finally hit the highway, the engine is warm.  

Archived