windscreen adjustment for angle

leonardlloyd

I read a review of the National V-Stream windscreen on an FJ-09 in Motorcycle Consumer News that included comments about adjusting the windscreen for angle as well as height. My 2016 US model does not seem to provide that feature, only height, with a locking knob on each side of the mount. With both knobs fully backed out, I attempted to change the angle, to no avail. Am I missing something?

Spacer's are the answer. Just mounted up a Givi screen and it has four spacer that mount the screen to the mounting bracket. They are about 3/8th". What that does is create a bit more airflow below the screen and helps with the buffeting. Also with clearance for the hand guards being the Givi is a lot wider the OEM. So yea mix and match the plastic spacer length to desired angle. The trick is as (1moreroad) alluded to is being able to find the longer screws, make or source the spacer and tighten the screws behind the screen mount. ;)

The GIVI screen I'm using is taller, wider and has a custom mount over the stock.

I ended up shimming the mounting bracket AND the screen top mounting holes OUT to make the screen more vertical. This pushes the air up over my head nearly. (I'm 6'2" tall, with a long torso so my head is pretty high on the bike.)

I used a few extra Toyota Supra valve cover washers with metal/rubber that are designed to spread out the load of the bolt over the valve cover. You can find similar stuff at any hardware store, or just use plastic washers/spacers, and even short cuts of hose have worked in the past. (Get a fuel line, with two washers. The fuel line should be just large enough to allow the bolt to go through, but the washers are small enough they capture the hose, and you make a "Crush" section of the hose this way.)

This will allow you to pretty much make any angle you want, and the hose will absorb vibration, and since it's fuel line, it has reinforced fibers in there, and will not fall apart in sun/weather/use.
Use stainless fender washers, and bolts/nuts and you don't have rust issues either. Use wing nuts if you want to make it adjustable without any tools.

Set up this way, if I slouch down, my head it out of the air at highway speeds.
If I sit up straight, the top vent pulls in plenty of cooling air, but you can hear it.
Tuck forward, and there is a nice quiet bubble of space, and it's pretty comfortable bent over the tank/bag that I have. Long distance rides are very possible this way slogging along on the highway.

Then when you get off the freeway and on back roads, you have air flow, and it's mostly quiet riding too. It's so smooth air flow wise that I ride with my face shield up, and the flip down sun visor down and have no problems with air over my eyes/face this way even at highway speeds. (The flipped up clear visor actually acts like a wing, and REDUCED wind noise over the top vent... go figure.) HJC Modular helmet. My HJC full face is about the same, and I'm looking at buying a Schuberth, but have not yet. (Money, those nice helmets are not cheap....)

• Premium Member
Madstad provides nearly infinate adjustment. Up, down, tilt and a variety of shield sizes. A little on the pricey side for some, but very well engineered and the best solution that I've found. The FJ is the 3rd bike I've installed a Madstad on.

• Premium Member
Madstad provides nearly infinate adjustment. Up, down, tilt and a variety of shield sizes. A little on the pricey side for some, but very well engineered and the best solution that I've found. The FJ is the 3rd bike I've installed a Madstad on.
+1  Also have the Madstad, and have done several tours with it.  Works great and, as mentioned above, easily adjustable.   

Archived