Kinda weird - only 3 headlights on low? ;^)

My son was sitting on my new 2017 FJ06 and going thru the bar buttons.  Throw on low headlights and only one bottom light comes on.  High beam both come on.  At first thought it was an issue but saw manual said this was as per design.  Is it just me or does this look/seem completely dorky?  Or as my 16 year old said, "Thats stupid"  ;^)

Am I the only one who thinks this is silly, and is there a way to force it - I guess I can just always run high beam.

Guest kernowjim
My son was sitting on my new 2017 FJ06 and going thru the bar buttons.  Throw on low headlights and only one bottom light comes on.  High beam both come on.  At first thought it was an issue but saw manual said this was as per design.  Is it just me or does this look/seem completely dorky?  Or as my 16 year old said, "Thats stupid"  ;^) 
Am I the only one who thinks this is silly, and is there a way to force it - I guess I can just always run high beam.
There's a good reason for this.  Two illuminated low headlights on a motorcycle, at night, look like a car that is much further away.  The reality is it's a bike that is closer than what most car drivers would realise...this means they pull out at that junction thinking they have plenty of time because in their mind, they've just seen a car in the distance.  

• Supporting Member
I never ride at night and run my high beam on all the time in the daytime.  I have the beam turned down slightly.  I hate the way bikes look with only one head lamp illuminated, it looks like one is burned out. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Interestingly, Yamaha has revised the new FZ-09 to provide two lights on both low and high beams.
I have not seen good research on the subject, but over the years I notice that two motorcycle headlights appear as one large bright light at a great distance and come into focus as two lights closer together than those of a car as the motorcycle approaches, seeming to provide additional data on speed of approach. I hope that the led eyebrows over the FJ-09 headlights help other drivers see me coming and estimate my speed of approach. Certain known problematic junctions lead me to flip to high beam dual light mode in advance of approach, trying to convince drivers not to pull out right in front of me. At least give me time to adjust speed in other than emergency stop mode.

Archived