Strongest top case rack to mount a bicycle

jeddye

I have a 2x2 bike rack that was mounted to my Triumph Scrambler, that I'd like to mount to what will become my new FJ 09 (as soon as I pick it up on Friday!).  

The bike itself weighs about 30lbs, and the 2x2 rack is another 4-7ish pounds.  The weight is kinda high, but it's pretty stable.  
https://2x2cycles.com/product/the-mini-rack/

I was looking at the SW Motech rack, and the $90 chinese version on ebay/ amazon, but both look a little lightweight for holding 35+ pounds.  

Does anyone have a recommendations for what my strongest rear rack options could be?  Riding moto's is good, bikes are good, but both are better!

IMG_3566.jpg

That looks really unstable, with the weight bias so far back, but if it works for you then go for it!

The givi monokey rack is very chunky and can take fully laden, large top boxes. But, it may be hard to modify to take your bike rack.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Here in Oz I reckon you'd get away with this for maybe 10km before being nabbed by the pleece!   It does look kinda dangerous... :)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I've seen people pull that off on GS1200S and stuff like that but not on a FJ... and I would not recommend it either. All rear racks mention a capacity of 10kg, about 22lbs on the rack. Not swinging far away like that acting like a lever on the mounts VS having the weight tied down directly on it.

Id look into renting a bike at your destination.... 

Or buying a car...
Or fitting a sidecar (remember those) to the FJ...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The bike on the rack is rock solid, the sketchiness is more in how it makes the bike handle.  I actually thought of getting something heavier than an FJ just so I would be attaching the bike rack to something more solid, but after test riding a GS I decided I'd rather have more fun 95% of the time, and figure out how to make the bike rack/ moto interface work better for the remaining 5%.  

I didn't find any off the shelf solutions that will work the way I want, so a custom mount might be in order.  I'm going to look into removing the passenger seat so I can mount the front of the bike as far forward/ low as possible.  Also, a custom bracket will be extra burly (we suck at welding thick stuff, so thin isn't even an option!).  

As for that talk about using my car just because it would be safer, more comfortable, and faster when it's all said and done, well that's just no fun at all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived