Basic prep for a short trip

Hi,
I'll be doing a Ride to Mexican beaches, not far from where I live. Last year I did it on a tenere xt660z I had, and now, on my FJ-09. Will be a 1,000 kms round trip.
As the tenere tires had tubes, i took a small portable air pump and a green liquid sold in auto zone, for small possible punctures on the tire. As the FJ09 is tubeless, I was wondering if the simple spray that you connect on the tire valve, sold in auto zone, is enough. I read though that these pressurized cans must not be carried on hot Temps, as there is risk of explosion.

Any suggestions, on products for a posible flat, that can be carried as part of a backpack, on the bike?

• Premium Member
Hi, I'll be doing a Ride to Mexican beaches, not far from where I live. Last year I did it on a tenere xt660z I had, and now, on my FJ-09. Will be a 1,000 kms round trip.
As the tenere tires had tubes, i took a small portable air pump and a green liquid sold in auto zone, for small possible punctures on the tire. As the FJ09 is tubeless, I was wondering if the simple spray that you connect on the tire valve, sold in auto zone, is enough. I read though that these pressurized cans must not be carried on hot Temps, as there is risk of explosion.

Any suggestions, on products for a posible flat, that can be carried as part of a backpack, on the bike?
That bottle of "green liquid" you mentioned is plenty good for tubeless tires. I can tell you firsthand it will handle a puncture with no issue.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
I carry a Dynaplug Repair Kit and a CO2 Inflator.  Thankfully, I have only had to use them once.

The Dynaplugs work very well, depending on what sized object punctures your tire, you may require 2 plugs.  After the repair I was able to ride several hundred miles without losing any air.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I use a plug kit and carry a small compressor all stashed under my seat.

P_20170115_100832_LL.jpg

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Beware of long term use of Slime in your tires. It causes a lot of corrosion to your wheel and degrades the bead area of your tire. I would not used it except as a short term fix to get you to a place to change your tire.
john

Archived