Basic prep for a short trip

Hi,
I'll be doing a Ride to Mexican beaches, not far from where I live. Last year I did it on a tenere xt660z I had, and now, on my FJ-09. Will be a 1,000 kms round trip.
As the tenere tires had tubes, i took a small portable air pump and a green liquid sold in auto zone, for small possible punctures on the tire. As the FJ09 is tubeless, I was wondering if the simple spray that you connect on the tire valve, sold in auto zone, is enough. I read though that these pressurized cans must not be carried on hot Temps, as there is risk of explosion.

Any suggestions, on products for a posible flat, that can be carried as part of a backpack, on the bike?

• Premium Member
Hi, I'll be doing a Ride to Mexican beaches, not far from where I live. Last year I did it on a tenere xt660z I had, and now, on my FJ-09. Will be a 1,000 kms round trip.
As the tenere tires had tubes, i took a small portable air pump and a green liquid sold in auto zone, for small possible punctures on the tire. As the FJ09 is tubeless, I was wondering if the simple spray that you connect on the tire valve, sold in auto zone, is enough. I read though that these pressurized cans must not be carried on hot Temps, as there is risk of explosion.

Any suggestions, on products for a posible flat, that can be carried as part of a backpack, on the bike?
That bottle of "green liquid" you mentioned is plenty good for tubeless tires. I can tell you firsthand it will handle a puncture with no issue.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
I carry a Dynaplug Repair Kit and a CO2 Inflator.  Thankfully, I have only had to use them once.

The Dynaplugs work very well, depending on what sized object punctures your tire, you may require 2 plugs.  After the repair I was able to ride several hundred miles without losing any air.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I use a plug kit and carry a small compressor all stashed under my seat.

P_20170115_100832_LL.jpg

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
Gummy worms tire plugs and a small compressor for me.

Slime or Ride-on products can be put in tubeless tires without issue, except the mess when you change tires.

TPMS will be added to my FJ at first tire change (wont be long!) Utilizing "T" metal valves. http://www.tpms.ca/t-valves.html

Beware of long term use of Slime in your tires. It causes a lot of corrosion to your wheel and degrades the bead area of your tire. I would not used it except as a short term fix to get you to a place to change your tire.
john

Archived