Handlebars off post-crash, alignment didn't fix

dpg34

Here's the story:

I crashed into the back of a car at 10-15 mph. It broke the seal on my front tire, causing it to go flat within about 2 minutes. Also, the bike went down on its right side, hitting the bar end with enough force to slide the bars about 2/8" to the left. After fixing this, and having the front end aligned (had 2 different mechanics do it, then did it myself), the steering is still slightly off.

To make the bike go straight, the bars and triple clamps are slightly to the right.

Also, when I get the bike up to speed past 80, it starts to wobble, which did not happen before the crash.

At this point, could it be bent forks?

I'm reluctant to spend anymore money at motorcycle shops – I just don't trust them anymore.

• Supporting Member
@dpg34 - Good luck sorting it out. It’s hard to diagnose without seeing it in person, but the forks on these bikes are fairly stout, so would hope that nothing structural (forks, triples, axle) got bent. The handlebars, however, could have easily been bent with a direct impact at the end of the bar when it fell over... not sure that would explain a wobble at speed, however.

When it was ‘aligned’, did you loosen everything in the front end (axles, pinch bolts, triple clamps, risers, bars) and bounce the front end to make sure it’s in place and not sticking anywhere? I’ve bought several wrecked bikes where the front was twisted fairly significantly, but it all came back in line with no permanent damage (and no bent parts) by carefully loosening and resetting/realigning to the correct orientation.

My bike got knocked over standing still and bent the bars about 1/8. And after two trustful mechanics say the bike felt fine it still did not feel right to me (I have been riding this bike for 10k miles,If something is not right I know, they have not so I understand ho wit could feel fine for them). So I replaced with new bars and all was good again. I am almost positive you have bent bars as well.

Here is my thread

https://fj-09.org/thread/5832/ing-harleys-bent-front-end

Thanks for your advice- I should determine if the bars are bent; the front wheel may be bent as well, since I was riding on a flat on the highway until I reached a safe spot to stop. I might be dealing with multiple problems

Yea. The way I did it before I purchased new ones is lay my bars on a flat surface, push down on where the bar mounts go (the center) and see if one side (where the grips go) lifts up.  I doubt the riding on a flat did anything but the impact could have flat spotted the rim, but at 10-15...I doubt it.

• 7 months later...
Really sorry to resurrect this old thread, but this is important to pass on; I found the reason my bike felt “cockeyed”, like it was somewhat pulling to one side, and the handlebars weren’t aligned. After many visits to motorcycle shops, many dollars wasted on multiple alignments, and finally, replacing the handlebars (which were not bent), I figured it out.

I spent $15 on amazon to buy a motion pro alignment tool, clamped it on the rear sprocket, and “voila”, my rear wheel was out of alignment, hence that “crabbing” effect I’d been experiencing.

After fixing this, the bike rode like brand new again- it was amazing. The best $15 I’ve ever spent.

I figured out that most, if not all the motorcycle shops I’d been to, were using the swing arm marks to line the wheel, which was inaccurate. Moral of the story, if your steering feels off, and your front wheel is aligned, check your rear wheel with this tool.

Don’t forget to take that tool off your sprocket after alignment. It will drastically reduce chain life otherwise. Guess how I know...☹️
I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune, but that gave me a chuckle. We've all done outrageously silly things. I left paper towels in the velocity stacks of my Daytona 675 then wondered why my bike wouldn't idle. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Really sorry to resurrect this old thread, but this is important to pass on; I found the reason my bike felt “cockeyed”, like it was somewhat pulling to one side, and the handlebars weren’t aligned. After many visits to motorcycle shops, many dollars wasted on multiple alignments, and finally, replacing the handlebars (which were not bent), I figured it out.  
I spent $15 on amazon to buy a motion pro alignment tool, clamped it on the rear sprocket, and “voila”, my rear wheel was out of alignment, hence that “crabbing” effect I’d been experiencing.

After fixing this, the bike rode like brand new again- it was amazing. The best $15 I’ve ever spent.

I figured out that most, if not all the motorcycle shops I’d been to, were using the swing arm marks to line the wheel, which was inaccurate. Moral of the story, if your steering feels off, and your front wheel is aligned, check your rear wheel with this tool.
I bought the same tool to do my first ever chain install and it works a treat.  No crabbing here either. :)

Archived