New member, leaving the liter and bigger sport touring class

tktplz

Hello, looking over the FJ-09. Want an FZ-09 but NEED an FJ-09 if you know what I mean. I'm an old VMax guy. Had 3 of them from 1997 thru 2008, a 1994, 1995 and a 1999. Now I have a ZRX1100 and a ZX11 Ninja. Will dress them up and get them sold over the winter to get a FJ-09 as far as I know now. Now to look over the forum and make sure this is the bike I need, so to speak. Did see a pic of a member dragging a knee on his FJ-09 so I know there is hope for it. Here are the rides right now......  IMG_5108.jpg IMG_5114.jpg

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
You will probably not find the FJ lacking in power, esp in the midrange! You may find yourself wishing for a more sportbike body position. Handlebar adjustments and mods seem to be somewhat common and straightforward. This should help with the wheelie proclivity too :-D

You will not find the FJ-09 lacking unless you wanna go faster than 160mph...

Proper tune will net you a stout 120whp ?

This bike is quite the "swiss army knife"

Enjoy the 20yr leap in bike technology
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Yes, the 104 RWHP stock is plenty. Love it being quiet too. These days I don't do much over 100. Mostly 25 to 90 MPH twisties are what I crave. I'm in NW Louisiana but have yearly trips to Bandara and the 3 twisted sisters, The Ozarks a few times a year, spring and fall and the yearly pilgrimage to Deals Gap, Cherroholla Skyway, moonshiners 28 etc. I want a bike big enough to ride there and light enough to have fun when I get there with the bags off. And the FJR1300 is yes, TOO BIG. If I was in it just for the HP I'd just get an FZ-10 but like I said, for what I do this is way more than enough. Just reading thru the different things, Mods, Suspension. That will be the main thing, suspension upgrades. Most I've read on the motor is it's the real deal. It's always exciting to start on something new. 

Have an fjr and an fj09. The fjr is no liter supersport but no slouch. The fj09 is certainly more fun to ride. I don't have supersport experience to compare for you, but if you want to drag knee, I suggest you plan on removing the center stand. Btw if your looking to buy used set up check out the used section. I have one posted willing to make a deal on.

• 8 months later...
Ok, FINALLY...3 weeks ago I sold my 1996 ZX11 Ninja and my 2000 ZRX1100. I think I joined this forum last November. with the hopes of selling them right at the start of spring here. That'sFebruaryy here in Louisiana.  I sold them to a new VMOA member that I just met at our Eureka Springs, AR Rally. Actually, he bought both of them from me, package deal.  Last Weekend I drove from NW Louisiana to Austin TX to pick up a pristine 2015 Red FJ09 with only 2348 miles on it for 7 grand. 782 miles round trip in 14 hours with 2 hours in Austin to buy the bike and get the paperwork notarized. Came with a battery tender and hook up to the battery already wired in. Denali horn, radiator stone guard, Motion Pro Flat Kit, Sport Touring screen, (Brand New), shorty dark limo tint screen, looks good on the bike and of course the stock screen. Hebco Becker 22 Liter soft side bags that are nice, quality stuff. 

So I'm figuring the first Farkles will be suspension and a reflash. Get the suspension sorted out and the bike will be a pleasure to ride. Has anyone tried the Chinnese Aluiminum rear racks. If you get them in silver instead of black they are cheap on eBay?  I already have a SHAD SH40 with a top rack on it that I used on my last 2 bikes. Besides this just riding it, getting used to it and enjoying it.
FJ09_10.jpg
FJ09_1.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase. Your on your way to making a good motorcycle a really good one with the upgrades you mentioned.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Supporting Member
So I'm figuring the first Farkles will be suspension and a reflash.

Congratulations on the new bike, it sounds like you have your priorities in order! 

I did the exact same thing when I bought mine, before I even got the bike from the dealer I had ordered a Penske 8983 from Traxxion Dynamics and pre-ordered the flash from 2wheeldynoworks. 

Forum vendor @pattonme is the suspension guy with the answers.  He can modify your existing forks with rebound and compression valving in both legs for one hell of a bargain price (both legs can have rebound adj. caps and one of the base cartridge bolts will have comp. adjustment - it works REALLY well) or get you drop in cartridges from various manufacturers.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks, there now.

DONE! Thanks for the tip. I had read that they were excellent on so many levels, not to say there aren't some others out there that are just as good I'm sure. The price is right and the reflashes are free for life.

Archived