Hello to all, I am Hank Dewald, a new member from Lake Gaston, in Eastern NC, USA. I sold my 26 year-old BMW and bought my brand "NEW" 2015 red FJ-09 just last week. I have always loved perfectly balanced three cylinder motorcycle engines and when the Yamaha FZ-FJ-09 series came out, I knew I would eventually buy one.

I am a writer/photographer and life-long motorcycle owner. I ride whenever I can but compared to many of my good friends, I don't rack up high mileage numbers. Hopefully that will change with this new Yamaha. After a week riding the new bike I had several questions come up. Fortunately I have found answers to all on this forum.

I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully contribute as I learn more about my bike.CRW_4437.jpg

Welcome! If this is a left-over 2015 from a dealership, don't assume that it doesn't need some maintenance in the near future. Specifically I'm thinking of flushing the brake fluid (most important in my mind), the coolant, and being aware that the tires are two years old. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, which turns it brown/black. This lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid and can eventually cause corrosion and failure of the ABS module. You're supposed to flush it every two years regardless of mileage. My guess is that the fluid in there is brown just from sitting in the dealership showroom.

Brake fluid flush is easy and I have a DIY video on YouTube if you need help getting it done. Look up Science_Biker on this forum/YouTube. Enjoy the new bike!

• Premium Member
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new ride. As you have already learned, lot's of good advice here for just about anything you need, just ask....

• Premium Member
Hello to all, I am Hank Dewald, a new member from Lake Gaston, in Eastern NC, USA. I sold my 26 year-old BMW and bought my brand "NEW" 2015 red FJ-09 just last week. I have always loved perfectly balanced three cylinder motorcycle engines and when the Yamaha FZ-FJ-09 series came out, I knew I would eventually buy one. 
I am a writer/photographer and life-long motorcycle owner. I ride whenever I can but compared to many of my good friends, I don't rack up high mileage numbers. Hopefully that will change with this new Yamaha. After a week riding the new bike I had several questions come up. Fortunately I have found answers to all on this forum.

I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully contribute as I learn more about my bike.
CRW_4437.jpg

Welcome Hank, you hit the mother lode here! You're gonna have some fun! 

Archived