Second hand suspension upgrades

Dark&Stormy

I have the Penske 8983 which only has the nitrogen reservoir (no remote preload adjuster) and I mounted the reservoir on the left passenger footpeg mount. You might be able to mount the remote preload adjuster on the right side.
Nice, thats the exact location of my scottoiler. The preload adjuster knob has a bracket that looks like i could mount between the frame and the passenger foot peg bracket. The nitrogen reservoir will have to be held inplace with hoseclamps sheathed in heat shrink tubing that were included. 
The shock is a YAC40769 i cant find any info on it as Yacugar's website is vague to say the least. 20171110_181714.jpg
It looks like the coil is 130 to 150?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57/57 is the ID of the spring.
150 should denote the length in mm = 6 inches. if you measure it on the shock you should see about 5.5" or 140mm.
130 should be the rate in likely N/mm. If so, You got schnuckered, or the guy weighs 400lbs. That shock spring rate only makes sense on an FZ07 with a 240lb rider.
I can't wait to see what you find on eyelet distance...

57/57 is the ID of the spring. 150 should denote the length in mm = 6 inches. if you measure it on the shock you should see about 5.5" or 140mm.
130 should be the rate in likely N/mm. If so, You got schnuckered, or the guy weighs 400lbs. That shock spring rate only makes sense on an FZ07 with a 240lb rider.
I can't wait to see what you find on eyelet distance...

Eyelet distance (center hole to center hole) measured 13". The guy definitely only weighed about 185lbs.
Here is his blog write up on the FJ and things he did to the bike.
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/?s=Fj09&submit=Search

Quote from his blog .... "Yacugar rear shock re-fit from my FZ07. The length appears the same, but I’ll need to thin up the rear linkage to accept the yac. I’ll have to get it machined by about 5mm total (2.5mm on each side)."

When i asked him if it was on an fz07 he said fj09... i guess past history doesnt count..

• Supporting Member
Quote from his blog .... "Yacugar rear shock re-fit from my FZ07. The length appears the same, but I’ll need to thin up the rear linkage to accept the yac. I’ll have to get it machined by about 5mm total (2.5mm on each side)." 
When i asked him if it was on an fz07 he said fj09... i guess past history doesnt count..
In his Blog he clearly states that he had the Yacugar on his FZ07.   
"2015 FZ07. Picked up this little beauty for CDN MSRP (all fees in). Great bike...

...The suspension is not as shitty as the stock FZ9, but it still needs work. Matris emulators, and Yacugar fully adjustable rear shock sorted the bike."

From what he wrote it sounds like the linkage mount is wider on the FZ07 and he was needing to get the shock machined narrower to fit the FJ.  Definitely use a caliper and measure the stock shock eyelet width and compare that to  the new shock.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

quick read of his blog makes me wonder why on earth he didn't sell the Yac with the FZ07. And why the shock came 13" (330mm) out of the box. You can try to re-purpose but you will very obviously need a different spring. 2.25" (57mm) ID springs are very common. Summit Racing is one of the easiest places to get Eibach springs here, I don't know what's handy up north.

And the clevis width issue is definitely a gotcha. Can you please post a decent pic of the shock? 2.5mm off each side of the ear is bit much to take off. Hmm, https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/four-day-blast-on-the-fj09/ has him running the Yac on the FJ09 so I guess all the mods have been done already. But if it's a bodge job call the BMW guys and ask them to source you the correct clevis. The rebound damping is going to be way off too once you put the correct spring on it. Whether or not you can get away with just the needle adjustments I don't know but I would be surprised.

Since it's only been a couple days you might be able to return the shock to him for a refund.

quick read of his blog makes me wonder why on earth he didn't sell the Yac with the FZ07. And why the shock came 13" (330mm) out of the box. You can try to re-purpose but you will very obviously need a different spring. 2.25" (57mm) ID springs are very common. Summit Racing is one of the easiest places to get Eibach springs here, I don't know what's handy up north. 
And the clevis width issue is definitely a gotcha. Can you please post a decent pic of the shock? 2.5mm off each side of the ear is bit much to take off. Hmm, https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/four-day-blast-on-the-fj09/ has him running the Yac on the FJ09 so I guess all the mods have been done already. But if it's a bodge job call the BMW guys and ask them to source you the correct clevis. The rebound damping is going to be way off too once you put the correct spring on it. Whether or not you can get away with just the needle adjustments I don't know but I would be surprised.

Since it's only been a couple days you might be able to return the shock to him for a refund.
20171113_151336.jpg

it's probably parallax but you can stick a 10mm rod thru both shocks and they line up? The exposed shaft also seems a bit shorter on the YAC. Is the Yac bumper a lot softer than the OE one? or thicker?
Ive already got the yac installed. Everything lined up well. Ill have to check on the firmness of the bumpers.  

the 120N/mm spring is what the FZ07 would have for a 175-200lb rider. For the FZ/FJ09 you're still massively oversprung. You should be running a 105. What do your sag numbers look like?

Ill get back to you on that. But first quick question. I just had the traxxion dynamic cartridges installed at a reputable shop and what do you know they put rebound in the left fork and compression on the right. Will this matter at all?

nope. not a lick of difference. My concern is, however, if they put the correct cap on the corresponding leg. Turn the rebound adjuster all the way closed and you should see a dramatic change on extension. If it matches then you know at least the caps aren't backwards.

• 2 months later...
Update:
Today was the first time riding since i upgraded the suspension. I rode my fj-09 loaded with luggage from st George utah to San Clemente cal. What a huge difference its practically a new machine. I barely even feel my luggage weight. No more bracing my loins for a dip in the road or having the front end nose dive when coming to a stop under weight. ??

Archived