Second hand suspension upgrades

Dark&Stormy

I found a listing on kijiji selling a used set of Traxxion Dynamics AK20 front cartridges for $700(cad) and a Yacugar ER-S adjustable rear shock for $750(cad).

That seems to be about half price for the front cartridges and full price for the rear shock (minus shipping and duty)

Ive never upgraded suspension before and frankly havent considered it until now. I weigh 175lbs add probably 10lbs full gear and probably carry say 50lbs of luggage including racks and cases while on tour.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Should I be jumping at this deal? Is it a deal? Canada isnt famous for having smooth pavement.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
The AK-20's are usually VERY well reviewed and at half off, that sounds like a great deal, they wont last long at that price. A quick look at the Yacugar website, the ER-S sounds like an emulsion shock with rebound adjustment only. It will most assuredly be an upgrade from the stock shock but personally, I like a separate piggyback or reservoir for nitrogen and if I'm going to spend the money for an adjustable shock I want a compression clicker and ride height adjustment as well.

For either the fork or shock, the first thing to look at is the spring rate, great components wont do you any good if the spring rate is wrong.

Forum vendor @pattonme can steer you in the right direction with suspension options.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The AK-20's are usually VERY well reviewed and at half off, that sounds like a great deal, they wont last long at that price. A quick look at the Yacugar website, the ER-S sounds like an emulsion shock with rebound adjustment only. It will most assuredly be an upgrade from the stock shock but personally, I like a separate piggyback or reservoir for nitrogen and if I'm going to spend the money for an adjustable shock I want a compression clicker and ride height adjustment as well.
After looking at the listing again the yacugar rear shock is not the ER-S. It is something more advanced. The model name isnt listed but from the photo it appears to be the FR-S.ad_1510113846318.jpg

need better (more zoom) photo. that's just an RPA from what I can see. Hmm, on second look that black object at the top sure looks like a reservoir. So it appears to be an FR-S. It's ~equivalent to an Ohlins 535. For the price it's worth the gamble.

• Supporting Member
After looking at the listing again the yacugar rear shock is not the ER-S. It is something more advanced. The model name isnt listed but from the photo it appears to be the FR-S. 

For the price, I think the AK-20's are a no-brainer.  Inquire about the model of the shock (see if it has compression adjustment) and ask about the spring rate.
Without knowing the age or mileage, factor a tear-down and service (fluid, seals and nitrogen) into the price on any used shock.

After looking at the listing again the yacugar rear shock is not the ER-S. It is something more advanced. The model name isnt listed but from the photo it appears to be the FR-S. 

For the price, I think the AK-20's are a no-brainer.  Inquire about the model of the shock (see if it has compression adjustment) and ask about the spring rate.
Without knowing the age or mileage, factor a tear-down and service (fluid, seals and nitrogen) into the price on any used shock.

Will do! Thank you for the advice.

• Supporting Member
If the spring rate is already correct for your weight, then that is one less thing for you to worry about. The price seems very fair for what you are getting.

The rear shock was on an FZ07 but modified it to fit the FJ09.
oh really?!? 
I don't see any evidence in that pic to suggest it's been lengthened by 17mm. I would press the seller damn hard on that question. Bring a ruler and some chopsticks and measure eye-eye. Not to mention the spring rate for 180lb rider for FZ07 is 120N/mm, on the FJ it's a 105N/mm spring. That's a BIG difference and the valving would need to take that into account.

I'll second the up-vote on the AK20. The shock is now definitely in the 'rather iffy' quadrant. I'd offer him 1100 for both if the shock was still a go.

I ended up getting both. The yacugar was never put on a fz07 (different story), he only had it on the fj09. He contacted someone from beemershop who sent out this kit.

http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=23-14-142HPA

I think it will be a pretty good improvement. I'll just need to get creative on the installation.

• Supporting Member
I ended up getting both. The yacugar was never put on a fz07 (different story), he only had it on the fj09. He contacted someone from beemershop who sent out this kit.  
http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=23-14-142HPA

I think it will be a pretty good improvement. I'll just need to get creative on the installation.
Congratulations on the suspension upgrade. You will be amazed at how it transforms the bikes feel and handling. What do you mean about "get creative on the installation?".  Before you attempt the install, if you have any questions, just ask.

Congratulations on the suspension upgrade. You will be amazed at how it transforms the bikes feel and handling. What do you mean about "get creative on the installation?".  Before you attempt the install, if you have any questions, just ask.

Well for the rear shock ill need to find a place mount the adjuster and the reservoir. The guy said he had both mounted on the left side of the bike. I already have my scottoiler reservoir on that side so it might be in the way. Also for $50 he'll do the cartridge swaps when i bring him the forks. 

• Supporting Member
I have the Penske 8983 which only has the nitrogen reservoir (no remote preload adjuster) and I mounted the reservoir on the left passenger footpeg mount. You might be able to mount the remote preload adjuster on the right side.

Shock_1.jpg

Shock_2.jpg

Archived