Hello from Iowa

logan

Hi all - thanks for the add! I’m looking to downsize my 08 Fjr this coming spring/summer. Along with the Africa Twin and Triumph Tiger 800, I am giving the new 2018 900 Tracer GT a serious look. I primarily would be using it for mid to long distance touring together with a bit of adventure touring.
I’m looking forward to your collective knowledge to help me make the right decision.

• Premium Member
I think many of us are eyeing the Tracer 900 GT. Yamaha have really been paying attention to the improvements owners have made and wished for. Make no mistake, however. The Tracer is no adventure bike. If your future plans take you offroad, your other candidates will be better choices.

I absolutely agree. I'm not in need of what I would call off road capabilities, but I do want a bike with good "bad road" capabilities. I'm just not sure whether or not the Yamaha con be made suitable or not. I love the Tracer's motor, cruise control. reliability, and low maintenance costs - I just don't want to have to pass up all the interesting gravel roads along the highway.

• Premium Member
Welcome! I rented a Tiger 800 earlier this year and put a couple hundred miles on it. After owning the FJ-09, the Tiger's motor is really bland. The FJ/Tracer is a far superior street bike.

But like Bob said, it's no adventure bike. If you want to go off road the Tiger or Africa Twin would be better.

• Premium Member
I'm not in need of what I would call off road capabilities, but I do want a bike with good "bad road" capabilities.
The FJ-09/Tracer is just as good/bad on "bad roads" as any other standard street bike.  That said, I once rode a BMW K1600GT to the top of a mountain in Tennessee on 10 miles (each way) of single-lane, rutted gravel road without spilling it.  So, if you are very careful, you can probably make due, but the Tracer is happiest on tarmac.

• Supporting Member
Welcome @logan - My birth certificate says Cedar Rapids, so I guess I’m technically an Iowa native.
Lots of good information and insight on the FJ here, although it’s understandably going to be a bit pro-FJ biased. Personally, I find it to be a great medium-distance sport tourer. The emphasis is a bit more to the sport side, and the bike seems to adapt well to a wide range of rider expectations.
Good luck with the research and decision!

I'm probably looking to get too much out of one bike, but I was thinking that with some suspension upgrades, aluminum panniers, a Higdonion cage, and a set of 80/20 tires that I could end up with a bike that could check most all of the boxes.

Archived